Poll:How many "One man Crews" on this board?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by G.M.Landscaping, Jan 7, 2006.

one man operation

1. Yes, only one

2. No, more then one

1. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

After having a partner for 14 years , we spilt last year and I went solo. Wish I would of done it sooner.
    So who else is the only employee?
  2. viking72

viking72 LawnSite Member

Solo only,
    I have other solo ops. that help and fill in when sick ect.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I was solo last season. I didnt do much but i will say, you can make alot more money with Employees then having a partner.

I am going to continue for next season but i will have Employees.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I couldnt immagine going back to being solo unless I was about 25 years old. I like having someone around to do the stuff I dont want to, or cant do.
  5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Solo only, installs to mowing.
  6. John Gamba

from ct

Same Here:waving:
  7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Started last year at the age of 40 because at this age for me it was time to crap or get off the pot. That in mind one of the goals explicitly laid out in my business plan was growth within five years to support hiring and keeping employees to A: Make more money B: get to the point where I could pick and choose the work I want to do.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Solo these days. It's not how many employees you have, but how you invest the profits. The smart man can work for money. The wise man makes his money work for him. I have alot less stress these days. My biggest problem working alone most of the time is making sure no one sees me talking to myself.:p
  9. John Gamba

from ct

Here i thought i was the only one:waving:
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

that is true, but the other thing a wise man does is make money of the sweat of the labor of others.

ridiculous example: Bill Gates. He had the dream, the vision and the audacity to start the business. But imagine if he tried to stay solo.

some of us are not meant to be Bill Gates. I understand that. But having a couple of guys to manage or even help out on the crew with you, will allow you many more years of productive work.