Poll: Mowing contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBrother, Mar 6, 2006.

?

Do you use contracts for residential mowing and maintenance?

1. Always

59 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Sometimes

61 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. Never

92 vote(s)
    43.4%
  1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Do you use contracts for residential mowing and maintenance?

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

ALWAYS! I will never do any work with out a contract. There are too many "what if's" when you don't use one IMO.

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I don't only because I'm fortunate enough to know the customer personally or through someone I know, so I'm not worried at all about needing a contract with them. In several cases, I feel that everything can be worked about because I knew them and they knew me before they became my customer.

If I get residential accounts that I don't know the people at all I would highly consider doing it, however.

4. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone gets a contract. Much easier with everything in writing. I try to stay away from doing work for friends and family as much as possible always seems to cause friction. Just my opinion

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've never had a contract, whether commercial or residential, except........

The two Wal-Marts I mow, I have to sign a Wal-Mart contract, and when I plowed 12 Taco Bells one year I had to sign a Taco Bell contract.

6. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

All my customers have to sign a contract.

7. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

A true business will have a contract. Perfect example...Wal-Mart and Taco Bell.:hammerhead:

8. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Id feel like an idiot having some old lady sign a legal contract to get their lawn mowed and if I dont get paid I dont go back other than to "collect"

I do like to provide a list of services ordered for that year, and synopsis of what we discussed as far as concerns etc etc, but actually having someone sign a contract dictating things to the customer?

Maybe you guys with a gazillion customers and half dozen crews do that but Im on a more personal level with my people and all future people.

Now that I know Im not a "true business" anyone wanna buy a JD 757?

9. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

How come you are trying to get rid of the Deere? :confused:

10. Livingreen

Livingreen LawnSite Member

I've got an older woman for a client, and she insists on having a contract (even though I have taken care of her grounds for 5 years). Her contract for May-Sept. is around 6,000, she wants to know what she is paying for;) , plus it erases any doubts as far as any extra services desired. Oh, and her husband is a prior 3-term governor for AK:usflag: . But this is the type of client that my company is geared towards. People who want and expect the best, and having a contract plays into promoting a professional service.