Poll : Mulch Bag Discharge ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tadams, Jan 12, 2003.

?

Just wondering what the majority of you do during the year?

1. Mulch

40 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. Bag

14 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Discharge

47 vote(s)
    46.5%
  1. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what most of you do the majority of the time? I mulch about 90% of the time.

2. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Bagger:cool: ,but I sense an arguement starting:D

3. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Discharge, mulch , bag, in that order.

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

For me it depends upon the client and the account. Some clients pay for their lawns to be bagged all of the time. Many accounts we only bag when they're growing rapidly in spring or if leaf covered. Some we bag, because there really isnt anyplace to discharge clippings unless you want them in the pool, beds, or just want to waste more time blowing off than emptying a bag. We do whatever it takes to leave the account looking its best!

Bob

5. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Discharge all the way. We bag only one property (car salesman smoke way to many ciggs). Landfills are for trash. Compost sites are a joke. You can only put so many clippings in your back yard. Mulching was a brilliant idea to sell homeowners very expensive mowers. I will not speak for southern grasses, I don't mow any. I have found running doubles has made spring cutting very easy. If you are getting double paid then by all means double cut! On very "few occasions" we will cut a small area twice. I can blow off any account in 3 min. Why anyone would still be bagging(grass) is beyond me. Turf cut at the optimum height and frequency will decay its own clippings. IPM My experience with mulching has been disapointing. Sure if you buy X brand it mulches great, but thats all it does. You can only cram so much @#!* in a five pound bag. Discharging allows you to work your heavy clippings to a lighter area and spread them out, cant do that mulching. I suppose if we did postage stamp yards, it might be different. We average 8000 - 20000 sf for a yard. People ask me to bag. I say give me a chance to show you my way. I haven't yet had to tell them to find someone else. I will if they insist on bagging.

Mark

6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Uh....what is this thing called "bagging" that you guys are referring to? ;)

When I encounter "tight spots" that need clipping control (pools, bed, ect) I just throw the mulch plate on (2 top bolts only...finger tight)...and presto...no clippings where I do not want them. :D

Next spring I'm getting "The Director" for the Lazer.

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I always side discharge in the spring, grass grows too fast to mulch. Then, in the summer mid June, I put on the mulch kits. Last, in the Fall, I either bag or mulch, depends on the amount of leaves the customers have on their lawn. I don't think there is anyway I could leave the mulch kit on all year. I prefer to mulch simply because you don't have to worry as much about blowing grass into the beds.

8. PRECISION LC

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

I discharge as much as i can. there are a couple of my customers who pay extra for me to bag each week. here in kansas in the hot summer months the grass barely grows so, the amount collected or cut each week is minimal. so i see it to be worth it to charge extra to bag.

9. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I mulch in Spring and Summer and bag in Fall and Winter. Seems to work good in my area and I only have to switch my mowers over once a year.

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

For me it depends upon the client and the account. Some clients pay for their lawns to be bagged all of the time.

Me to, I have one client that requires bagging, sort of a hassle if you ask me, but I Bag(collect) in the spring/fall, for clean-ups