1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

POLL. % of jobs from Postcards

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tinman, Dec 6, 2005.

% of jobs gotten from postcards

1. less than 1%

9 vote(s)
  2. 1%

0 vote(s)
  3. 2%

1 vote(s)
  4. 3% or more

1 vote(s)
  1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

POLL. % of jobs from Postcards.
  2. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I voted, however not sure if I can say we gave postcards a fair shot.
    I sent out 400 some postcards, that's it, just to a few select neighborhoods that we wanted to try to get into. Nothing, zip. I think we got one call, but it didn't turn into a job. So basically 400 is nothing to send, I guess I shouldn't be surprised we didn't land anything. :dizzy:
  4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I just happened to have had a good round with postcards in my neighborhood. Didnt expect it, but landed about 3.5% in jobs and many more referrals from those customers. I did them door to door, seemed to work very well, people liked having a more personalized mailer on the door rather than in with the rest of the junk mail. Even better results with a personalized mailer, each owners name and address on it. They eat it up if it looks like you sent it just to them.
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

The amount of calls I got from postcards was less than .5%....right away ( will explain this later).
    I sent out one round, all at the same time, of 5,000 postcards in the spring of 2004. I received maybe 30 calls. I landed about 20 jobs, 16 of which were one time jobs. Of those measly 4 mowing clients, I picked up another 4 from their referrals the following year. Of those referrals I picked up one more for next year. So now those orginal 4 mowing accounts have actually turned into 9 mowing accounts, 5 weed 'n feed programs, 2 scalpings in the spring, 3 yearly aerations, 3 yearly overseeding and 2 yearly dethatchings. Oh yea, one of the "one time jobs" turned into 1 yearly mowing (through referral) and a couple other one time jobs through referrals.

The way I look at it you have to ask yourself....."self, do I have more money or more time"? If the answer is money, then go with postcards because they are expensive. For me it costed around .40 per copy....that's for the design, mailing list, print and postage. I had them designed and then had www.postcardwarehouse.com do the rest. I never even laid my hands on them except the few that were returned back to my address. If your answer is time, than hand deliver flyers/doorhangers.

I feel the best way to gain a lot of clients fast and can be done economically is to find someone to buy out, but those opportunties are few and far between.