Poll on reliability of 4Mix vs 2 cycles trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yungman, Apr 9, 2008.

?

Small 4Mix vs 2cycles

Poll closed Apr 19, 2008.
  1. People using 4Mix equipments under 36cc.(FS130 included)

56.0%
  2. People have engine problem with 4Mix under 36cc.

11.9%
  3. People using commercial 2 cycle equipment under 36cc.

48.8%
  4. People have engine problem with their 2 cycle under 36cc.

6.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I have been pretty loud about 4Mix and C4 type of hybrid engines. Lately when I was going back and fore with Lazer_Z, It just cross my mind that a lot of the complains of 4MIx are on the blowers with much bigger engines. Therefore I post this thread with a poll of the number of people using smaller 4Mix equipments like trimmer edger etc where 36cc FC130 is the limit and people having engine problem on those small 4Mixs. vs Major commercial brand 2 cycles like Echo, Redmax, Stihl, Shindaiwa etc.

Let the numbers speak themself. At the end we just take the number of 4Mix user that have problem divided by total number of 4Mix user. This give the percentage of problem. Do the same for the 2 cycles. then we can see the picture very clear.

2. yungman

from Calif.

Please give a description of the the problem also.
    Thanks

3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We have been using 4-mix for 4 years now with good and bad. I like the power, but we have problems with these machines acting up in different temps. Above 90 degrees and they are hard to start and they just don't want to rev up. Below freezing they are tough to start. We have all the attachments for these so we need to keep one on hand, but we are seriously considering going with primarily Redmax or Echo. Stihl still makes a great chain saw, but it seems like they have been resting on their laurels while the 2 strokers have been improving their designs. The temps here in spring and fall can vary dramatically from day to day so attempting to tune it or mix it differently is not practical. I would include shindy in here, but no dealers close, and never tried one.

4. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

My only complaint is last year I accidentally put gas that had sat sense the last season through my fs 110r and it ruined the carb. Good thing it was under warranty.

5. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought two Stihl 4mixers, the FC130 edger and FS90r trimmer. 2 cycle has been phase out by stihl, at least around here. Have not used them enough to vote, though they have not been the easiest to start. I love the power of the edger, though. It will eat through walks that haven't been edged in years with no problem. That is why I chose this model.

6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Stihl will continueto offer the larger displacement FS250R in the 2 cycle thats what I have switched to. I have a FS130R it's got a different sound thats for sure. Never purchase another FS130R again, it can be hard to pull on the starter rope a times? The FS250R is buy far Stihl's best professional grade weedeat it's such an easy starting balanced powerful weedeater, and yes everyone needs one that big

7. nosparkplugs

yungman, no offense hear what is this going to solve, you need to include more options 36cc & under has left me out buddy? Stihl will continue to offer 2 cycle weedeaters in the 40cc or larger displacement, the EPA cannot mandate emission standards on this class of weedeaters & brushcutters.

8. yungman

from Calif.

As I have said, I alway has been a loud critic of 4Mix, but I feel that most of the threads I have seen seems to be on the big blowers, so the best way is to put a poll. Before I say any more one way or the other, let the numbers tell us the story.

I don't care whether I was right or wrong, it is not even important for me. The most important for me is to find out the answer for my curiosity and also I think this will give people a sense of the reliability. This is all about numbers.

As for the bigger ones ( 40cc) there is not hybrids, so no need to compare. I know the FS250 is very good. When I bought my Honda, I kind of looking at it too. I dismissed it because of the noise level. I live in bay area. They have all sort of ordinances on noise and all.:waving:

9. nosparkplugs

My only complaint is the FS130R starter seems to catch/almost like you could rip the starter rope out if you tried?. A 2-cycle engine will always outperform a 4/Mix. Their are less moving parts in a 2-stroke engine/ less to break too. So the "bay area" would not like my Cummins diesel with it's 4" straight exhaust, and my 2-stroke lawn equipment

10. yungman

from Calif.

Guys, please help out and put in your words. You can vote even you have 2 cycles only because this is a comparison.:waving: