Poll Ryder or WB?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Technologies, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I never really understood why LCO use big Ryders"dixe choppers Vipers etc etc" on small residential lawns? Am i the only one?

I allways see ruts and groves from following the same patten.Yes i know it can be done with a WB , but takes a long time.(onwer of the bussiness I am running had formed many and they are a bugger to even out) just want your thoughts.
  2. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

I have thought the same, I have seen guys around here with a 60" laser cut 8000 Sq Ft lawns or less and tear up things, I have a 48" WB and have found it to be versatile for the lawns that I do up to 1 acre :)
  3. CTLGM

CTLGM LawnSite Member

I'm with you guys! Large mowers have no place on a Residential or small commercial account. However, there are people that argue that "it stripes better.... I can get more work done in the same amount of hours in the day....... I can do 5 days of mowing in 4 now b/c of my large mower"
    I'm not siding with one or the other, but it has been my experience and "Professional" opinion that smaller mowers (if used correctly) can create more interest and draw more attention to the total landscape than a larger cut. I have used both, ranging from a 21" bagging manual push mower all the way to a 60" Lazer Z on anything from 3,000 to 35,000sq. ft.
    When I managed a branch for a national organization in Atlanta, our residential crews used nothing but reel mowers, 21" manual push mowers w/bags, and sometimes a 36" walk-behind w/o a velke. They averaged 3-6 properties a day, but they were all prime accounts averaging $750/mo minimum for our "Full Maintenance". Never, ever were they allowed to put anything over 36" on a property!
    Now, were I live (east TN) there are locals here that won't bid on a property unless they can fit a 60" rider in the back yard!
  4. Artisan

Artisan LawnSite Member

I started out using a 36" viking because it was what I could afford. But this is still one of my favorite and (in my opinion) most versatile mowers.
    As far as larger mowers "tearing up" lawns what I finaly conceded is that it really doesn't matter if it is true or not...it is the customers "perception" that they do...and in the end (at least when it comes to sales) perception is reality!
    I love a 60" Z as much as the next guy...it is an incredible tool. But like any tool you have to know when and how to use it.
  5. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I have only done it once with my 52inch Turf Tiger. Cut a small residential yard in the city. It was my grandmothers yard, cut and trimmed the whole yard in 15min. Though you can't get in all the tight areas like you can with walkbehind. In those small lots their isnt alot of room to turn a ZTR around, compared to a Walkbehind.
    If i were to get more accounts in the city, id use a WB. Right now in the process of deciding weather to buy a Scag48inch wb hydro or a 52inch, i do some 2 acre lots but also use it for small tight areas too. My thoughts are to get a 48inch, its fast enough to cut some of the big areas, but also small enough to get in those tight areas like a city lot.
  6. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

48" hydros are the way to go on most res. for me. Only 2 accounts that I would even consider using a ZRT or out front on. Love w/b's b/c they are inexpensive, reliable, simple, eay to work on, light, manuverable, and clients like them way more that ZTRs b/c you LOOK like your working. W/bs are the workhorse machines for me. Standers and Super Sufers are ok too, but I still love the w/b.
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

yep walkbehinds are a good way to go .im fer it
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Both type mowers have their pros and cons...personally I feel a WB is more versatile over the long run.

Jeez Louise, I hope I'm not gonna get beat up by everybody that owns Z's now...LOL
  9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Considering a 48 WB can be used as a walker, and then switched to a rider instantly (with velky), and at half/two thirds the price of a true rider, it's just no contest. Also, the rider can't be converted to a walker if needed.;)
    Also, as we all know the riders are now getting up to 1,100/1,200 lbs, and it's impossble to mow if it gets mushy from too much rain.