1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Poll: What kind of market are you in?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Jul 24, 2002.

What kind of area do you work in or service

Poll closed Sep 7, 2002.
  1. Upper scale neighborhoods only. Every blade is green and every edge is sharp. Plants perfectly prune

0 vote(s)
  2. Upper-middle to upper class neighborhoods. Some yards are perfect. Some are just okay.

31 vote(s)
  3. Working in mostly middle class neighborhoods. Landscapes aren't perfect but it's what pays the bills

13 vote(s)
  4. Mostly work in lower to middle class neighborhoods.

3 vote(s)
  5. We'll take anything we can get. We maintain some dumpy yards as well as some really classy landscape

11 vote(s)
  1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I am just curious as to what kind of area guys on this board are working in. I sometimes forget that everyone doesn't work in the same kind of area I work in. So it got me thinking; I wonder what kind of area most people here work in. Please answer the poll. Thanks!
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've been in all of those market areas at some point. Over time I redesigned my focus on the type work I liked. And this year has had some growing pains.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I can't get the poll to work so here is mine:

We'll take anything we can get. We maintain some dumpy yards as well as some really classy landscapes.

I don't really take anything I can get but the rest of it is accurate. I have spent years getting my route down to within a 5 mile radius of my house. I am at the point where I can be really picky about which lawns I take on. I bid on everything but the ones that I don't really want are bid skyhigh. The area where I work is a transitional area in that it was, up until 10 years ago when the building moratorium was lifted, nothing but beach houses. Now we are having a lot of high dollar waterfront homes being built by people with money and those are the ones I am after and I have a lot of them. More than half of my client list is waterfront.
  4. agrostis palustris

agrostis palustris Banned

It is hard for me to answer this question. I work in several different types of areas. I work in areas where the houses are middle class / upper middle class where the people will fertilize their lawns and do the whole shlemiel. However I get up into the bigger dollar areas where the homes reach into the 7 - 8 figure price tags and the people don't have their lawns fertilized as much. They let them grow, just want them cut. But the landscapes themselves require high maintenance.
  5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

agrostis palustris, i think you said it best for the most part.

My area has no real answer for your question, Ive seen it all in my area, 100k houses and up with yards that look worse than (we'll we all know what i'm saying). then i've seen yards at house 40k and less with yards that could be a putting green. and everything in between, its funny, one neighbors yard will be beautiful and the next has more weeds than a field, and is only 1/3 of the size the field is. But there are exceptions, I have some customers that want everything perfect do the work if it needs done and bill them, then others that would rather lose everything at bingo than have the driveway edged. go figure bingo over having the driveway edged.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

rite now id mow with my nieces, fisher
    priced mower,if thats what they wanted.
    really i guess the little sprinkles we been getting ,are helping a little.
    didnt realize it but my elderly are worried the drought is gonna make me quit.sweetest people in the world.
    good luck fellas. if u in drought ,u have my sympathies.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Like mentioned above, some of my accts fall into all of these categories. To just pick one, I went with upper-middle, since I have more accts in this group than any other. I have one crib, probably 2 million $$$ range, and then do a trailer 1 mile away valued at about $20,000. Is this country great or what???

8. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I cut some nice lawns and some OK lawns. I even have 2 super crappy lawns. They all pay what I ask so I am happy!;)