Poll: Where do you store your equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBrother, Dec 9, 2006.

?

Where do you store your equipment

1. I operate out of my home

156 vote(s)
    67.0%
  2. I own or rent shop space

48 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. I use an outside storage yard

10 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. I use indoor storage units

19 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I'd like to get a consensus on how everyone here operates relating to equipment storage. Right now I operate out of my 2 car garage, but as I grow I am seeing the need to move from there rather soon! So, I am exploring other housing options for my equipment. Should I get a shop, put everything in enclosed trailers in a storage yard, open trailers and inside storage....etc.
    What method do you use and why? What are the pros and cons to the way you do things?

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We store our equipment in a 16ft box truck and usually keep a few pieces of equipment in our garage.

3. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Its all in my enclosed trailer in my backyard.

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Well, I use about 2-3 of the choices, so I picked the "best", which was indoor storage unit. I also have quite a bit of stuff here at home too, but want to maybe get another storage unit to have everything up there. In a few years I would like to get some property on the edge of town and build a big shop.

I like the fact that I can just back my trailer into the storage unit loaded up, but would like it better if it was big enough for my truck and trailer to both fit in, hooked up. It is very secure, in my opinion, vs. at my house. And my favorite benefit- when the guy from the county comes around about personal property tax... no equipment here at home, surely I CANT be a LCO, right?

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

In the backyard under a 20' x 50' aluminum carport.

6. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

at my home, i have a older barn that we use to have animals in, and i built a pole barn about 6 years ago that i use for storage of my lawn care equipment and farm equipment. I thought when i built it that it would be big enough, no such thing. lol

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We rent a fairly large building and outdoor area for trucks, trailers, plows, etc.

8. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I keep everything at my house. I put the bp blowers, hedge trimmer, wackers, you know the high theft stuff in my garage up on some shelving and the rest goes in my shed. Everything gets stacked in pretty well but leaves very little room, 12X16 shed, and yes its locked up too. I have enough land that I will extend my driveway in a year or 2 and put up a building. Trailer gets put across the street at the neighbors house, he has a barn out back and I put it next to the barn for the winter. Only way you know the business is at my place is by the lettering on the truck.

9. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I read about a large landscaping company in Lawn and Landscape who uses only an outside storage facility for everything. They said it dramatically reduces their overhead. I am seriously considering doing the same thing. Does anyone here exclusively use outdoor areas for storage? If so, is your equipment all enclosed in a trailer, or exposed to the elements? I am under the impression that outdoor storage of equipment(even if covered with a tarp) will shorten the life of the equipment due to exposure. Am I right in assuming this? Are tarps adequate, or are enclosed trailers the only way to go for outside storage?

10. BMFL79

BMFL79 LawnSite Member

I use self-storage units. I started out of the house, but got too much stuff. I don't have the cash for a piece of property yet, but that is the goal. The only drawback is that the storage units don't have electricity, so to sharpen, etc. I have to bring everything home. The storage units cost me about half of what a shop costs to rent around here, so the "hassle" of bringing stuff home pays off, for now.