Poll: Who's responsible?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by carcrz, Apr 26, 2007.

?

Who's responsible?

1. Me

52 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. Her

58 vote(s)
    52.7%
  1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

A sprinkler head didn't go down all the way & the mower clipped the head clean off. I have told her in the past that they do not go all the way down & she was supposed to get it taken care of. Apparently she missed one of them, but I took care of it permanently for her. Who's to blame?

2. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

just go to lowes or where ever and buy a new head and put it on for her just to keep her happy. They dont cost much and not hard to put in.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If her kid comes out (and you told him not to) and you hit him with the mower who is responsible?

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Yeah, OK.....because that is close to the same thing.:hammerhead:

5. David Hartzog

David Hartzog Banned

did it damage your mower? did it cause a big puddle mess? assess the damage...if there's water everwhere fix the head quick. if there's more damage worry over details then. i've run over my share of sprinkle heads and the cost of keeping the client happy is better than quibbling over a few bucks on a repair.

6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Only because she was aware of the problem; I'll have to say fix it and add it to her next invoice.
    Also send an estimate for replacing all the pop-ups in the turf area.

You don't alway know when you clip the top off one of those things.

7. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

In my world the customer is 100% responsible. It says so in my contract and I also include an entire letter in the estimate pack explaining why.

If the head is up and I clip it off it's not my fault- the head is already defective and if I can't see it in tall grass I will not be responsible. If it's a brass head and damages my blades or mower the customer is responsible for that too.

Now, if I break a head using an aerator or power rake it's my responsibility and I'll fix it.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

was the damage caused by the mower? Was he in control of the mower? End of story.

9. carcrz

I had no idea it even happened until I was edging & saw it sitting right beside the sprinkler. It was almost as though it was already broken & the cap was just sitting there, which is pretty much impossible because I'm the only one that does maintenance there except for her sprinkler guy (but he's only on-call terms).

10. carcrz

So if someone throws their kid in front of me out of a 2 story window & I hit him - who's responsible? Don't be stupid. Two completely different things.