1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Poll: Your Type of Business entity

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mr. Magpie, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

How do you file your taxes, under what type of business (Corporation, LLC,ect)?

I am trying to decide how to file for my business from now on (I have been a sole proprietor for the past 3 years - I have a small two man operation with me working another job on my own). My approach to this decision would be to try and do what everyone else does.

Also, if I decide to buy and sell real estate and possibly own another small business, what should I do (does that have any bearing on the decision?).
  2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

sole prop and you can own 2 businesses with sol prop. talk to an accountant but with more perks comes more restrictions the Irs always wins. If your makin the right money and depending on assets then maybe you change your classification.
  3. EDEN77

EDEN77 LawnSite Member

S Corporation here. My accountant can get me tax breaks that were not possible when I was a sole-proprietor. I am saving a fortune in taxes (legally) every year. The cost of incorporating can be steep. You might be looking at close to $2000.00. It's worth every dollar, though.
  4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Sole prop here
  5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

LLC here...
  6. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

two member LLC w/ taxes being passed through members personal tax returns.
  8. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

LLC here ...
  9. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

sole member LLC!
  10. rogers lawn care

rogers lawn care LawnSite Member