1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Poll's in threads

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guido, May 13, 2001.

Which type of Biz would be most profitible in your area?

1. Offering Full Service (in house)Landscaping, Lawncare, irrigation, snow, etc.

16 vote(s)
  2. Offering just a specialized service and nothing more; i.e., JUST landscaping, JUST lawn Care, etc.

9 vote(s)
  3. Offering only a specialized service (in house) and subcontracting the other work out

13 vote(s)
  1. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I justed noticed this feature so I'm going to try it out.

Lets take a little poll

Which type of business do you think would be most profitible in your area.

Hope this works!
  2. Guido

Well it works, its on top in case you missed it. Pretty cool.

If you want, you can share your answers with the class (why you picked the biz you did)

I picked #3 Offering a specialized service and subbing out the other work. I figure I can do landscape construction and rigid and flexible pavement construction and maintenance. With the tools for these jobs I can cover a wide variety of work, and what ever I can't touch, I will have a "network" of subs to come in and take it.
    I can make a good profit off of what I'm doing (it's the higher end of the industry $ wise) and keep my customers happy by being their "go-to" guy when they need something done, and of course still turn a buck doing it! The other benefit of having this so called network of subs is that we could all specialize and pass the other work to the appropriate company.

I know there are pro's and cons of all the choices, but this is the one my vision is built around at the time being.

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i also picked #3 becuase most markets will demand you to be diverse to recieve a good following but the cost for one to properly "tool up"
    ...to do all or any one servive efficiently is prohibitive......me i mow and plow...yes i have many of the tools needed to do landscaping etc... but time and commotment to these other endeavers is limited it is easier for me to keep refering these other service to a friend that only does that one thing and still make money off the job....basically what a gen. contractor does all day but on a small scale
  4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Good idea guido. After reading your post here, I thought about finding the most popular brand of mower on lawnsite with a similar poll. I came up with 33 brands. The problem was the poll feature only allows 10? That wouldnt allow a fair and accurate poll.
  5. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Also...the poll falls off the screen and towards the bottom unless a "reply" is typed. A "vote" only constitutes a view, and the poll drops?
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

you got my vote ;-> #3
  7. Turf Cutters

Turf Cutters LawnSite Member

I am doing #3 right now. Only problem is you have to check up on the subs. They tend to forget that you are the customer.
  8. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I also went with #3. As a solo it is the best way too go for me. I know a couple of guys trying full service and what they go through with employees. I had employees just with the mowing and when they go out on their own the phone starts ringing with complaints and my profits are down the crapper.
  9. Guido

Okay, so we know why we all picked # 3 so you guys taht voted other wise tell us some of the pro's and con't of the the other two.

I think this is a good way to discuss the different types of business's that we have on here.
  10. LSAdmin

LSAdmin Web Developer Staff Member

Polls with too many options are not necessarly good; choices must be restricted for (usually) more accuracy, as people can get rid of reading all the options if there are too many.

If you have 33 brands and can post only 10 options, I suggest you to make a poll with the nine you consider major ones, and put "Others (please post)" as your 10th choice. That way, you'll get all the different brands, but won't have too many options.

Hope this helps :)

Pierre-Luc Soucy