Poly/ Blazzing Saddles

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mitchgo, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Wasn't that back around the time when the Model T first hit the market?

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, anytime I could use brass and copper, I celebrated it! :clapping:

3. h20 guy

h20 guy LawnSite Member

Old school here, poly fittings and oetiker clamps for me, try and true.

4. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Always have used poly & Blazing saddles - don't know why you would use the saddle clamps, seems like a lot more work to me.
    I always flush lines before installing any saddles etc. haven't had any problems yet. 1", 1 1/4", & 1 1/2".

Just my $0.002 worth!

5. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

Has a guys opinion gotten that cheap?

6. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

After Christmas discount!
    Clearing out all the left over opinions!

7. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Does Leary know?:laugh:

8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

You need to give snap saddles a try. Glue on saddles are gods gift to true instigators. Not to mention that they make great band-aides too. I've gone behind the tree fert guy and glued on saddle after saddle where they didn't punch clean through, only perf'd the top of the pipe. Saved me time and the customer money. Also made more because I charged a better markup for the saddles. A 1" snap saddle glued onto a 1.5" main to take a new valve beats cutting the mainline, hands down. If the main is deep enough, you can install a 1" PVC ball valve prior to the new globe angle valve and not tap the main until the shut off is in place :) I've also glue'd in the MA, installed the globe angle and then opened the valve up to drill the main. Then re-assemble and the valve will shut off the water. It seems like a lot of hoops, but waiting for a large mainline to drain down is a real pita. Especially in the summer when your already working can to can't.

9. DIXIECONTRACTING

DIXIECONTRACTING LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I have been using poly with the "blazing saddles " Brand saddles for 4 years now with no problems at all and much faster than barb and crimping.

-G-

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

But faster doesn't equate to reliability. How well do they work? Any problems to report? Breakage? Flow restrictions? Leakage?