poly guy biding pvc job

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Jan 8, 2008.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I was hoping one of you pvc guys could help me. I am biding a job that has called for 4000' of 2 1/2" 200 class pvc with either a 90 or tee every 70'. I have figured my trenching and back fill time per 10' of trench. I was wondering if anyone has a formula for figuring asembely time of the pipe per foot?

thanks

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Any thrust blocks being used here?

3. greenmonster304

none were spec by designer. what situation would require them?

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on variables like burial depth and water hammer forces. Let the guys with golf course experience weigh in.

5. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

Soil Type?
    Operating Pressure?
    Pipe Depth?
    Any mechanical compaction?

6. greenmonster304

Bridgehampton silt loam
    75 psi
    16"
    tamping as backfilled

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You don't need thrust blocks on solvent welded 2 and 1/2 pvc.

You probably don't even need them on gasketted pipe, though I would start using them at 3 inch and larger.

Assembly time should be fairly quick if you have two guys and can lay out the pipe alongside the trench off a truck.

A question though, is 2 1/2 large enough...4000' is a long ways. If you are pushing 75 psi, how many GPM are you planning on using.

8. greenmonster304

2 1/2 is what the designer spec. It is moving 70 gpm. The main is looped around the property and looped around each of the 12 horse padocks.

9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

so have you ever laid pvc before? w/ the bigger pipes it'll slow you down quite a bit because you'll have to hold each joint (or at least I like to) for about 20sec... this prevents it from slipping out... 2" and up.

10. greenmonster304

I have never laid large diamater pvc in any large amout. Here on east end of long island its all poly. And I usualy work on smaller projects but I want to do larger jobs I guess I have to start somwhere