poly pipe psi \ clamps

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zman9119, Aug 10, 2006.

1. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

hey everyone,

I am looking for some information on the PSI rating for the poly pipe you use as poly is new to me (coming from golf course irrigation). Are most of you using 80psi poly for laterials? Also, does anyone have a favorite for the type of clamps they use, worm gear vs crimp?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We use 160 psi and 200 psi NSF poly for constant pressure if we need to use poly at all.

Worm gear clamps.

We don't use poly laterals.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

80 psi poly is now uncommon, since the higher-density resin of today gives you 100 psi for the same wall thickness. If anyone uses other than Oeticker clamps, I'll assume its for price. Worm gear clamps? On a large-diameter mainline, or constant-pressure line (like for a lawn hydrant) but almost nowhere else.
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Most of our Poly work is for either yard hydrants lines or domestic lines to a house. We only use NSF stuff, brass insert fittings, and worm gear clamps. No failures that way.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

160 and higher psi pipe really doesn't work well with crimp clamps, but I could run 125 psi for a yard hydrant, and use Oeticker crimp clamps, no problem, but that 125 psi has the same dimensions as the 100 psi utility grades (but uses better resin, so it's rated higher)
  6. brookviewlawncare

brookviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

oil creek brand poly 100psi nsf and only murray h-ss screw clamps
  7. mwardy

mwardy LawnSite Member

We use oetiker clamps on 80 and 100 psi pipe. We use 2 clamps before valves and single clamps after valve. I just did a remodel of a system that the homeowner installed wher he used pvc for main and didn't clamp any fittings after valves. He has drains on all the heads. Hasn't had a problem in 13 years. Couldn't beleive it.
  8. Beartooth

Beartooth LawnSite Member

100 psi nsf rated "Pro Turf Green" polyethylene from Centennial Plastics. It has been engineered specifically for the turf industry. Oetiker clamps of course.
  9. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, thanks for all the replies.

Our guy at the supply house thought I was nuts for asking for 100psi NSF poly. He said they stopped stocking it because none of the contractors were buying it.

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

100 psi poly and crimp clamps. Anyone that thinks worm gear clamps are superior to crimp clamps is seriously fooling themselves.