poly pipe question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RandyS, Aug 24, 2006.

1. RandyS

RandyS LawnSite Member

Looking for 5/8 inside diameter poly pipe. Do they make it? Need a couple hundred feet of it.
    Thanks.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

A couple hundred feet of 5/8 pipe is going to have virtually no pressure at all at the end if your trying to move any large quanity of water.

They make .700 tubing for drip, Netafim and Rainbird make it, I'm pretty sure that translates over to 5/8...

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What the hell do you mean "do they make it?" ~ do you have any irrigation equipment catalogs, with their friction loss tables. What do you think the inside diameter of half-inch iron-pipe-size tubing is, anyway? Geez Louise! :hammerhead:

4. RandyS

RandyS LawnSite Member

Wet Boots,
    No, I don't have irrigation catalogs. I don't do irrigation. Needed it for something else. I know nothing about pipe. That's why I came here to get help, obviosly not from you. Maybe get some bran in your diet.

Dirty Water,
    Thank you, I'll look up those 2 companies you suggested.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure you're looking for ID and not OD? There is some poly out there sold at places such as OSH that tout 5/8" OD which takes slightly different fittings than 1/2" poly or its equivalent.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

LOL!!!!!! He'd plug up for sure!!! :laugh:

7. Wet_Boots

The 'outrage' was entirely a put-on. :p Still, this ranks as one of the better Uhh-Duhh questions we'll see, only because of the exact match of half-inch IPS poly pipe to the original request. (and you should know your materials if you're going to wear a sprinkler hat) But why that specific size of pipe? It isn't all that much cheaper than 3/4" and lots harder to find. What's the application?

8. RandyS

RandyS LawnSite Member

Just need to stuff a pipe of smaller diameter into a larger one. If I use a 3/4 inch it has too much friction for us to push it through the 150' or so it has to go. That's why I thought a 5/8s pipe would work.
    We have a leak in our water pipe between the springhouse and my water pump. After a couple days it loses prime. I can either shove a smaller pipe through it or dig a new 4' deep trench.
    Sorry my question is so Uhh-Duhh to you but I don't know anything about poly pipe, I'm NOT an irrigation guy. Just need some help with a small problem.

9. Wet_Boots

What's the pipe this is going into? One inch? Inch-and-a-quarter? PVC? Galvanized steel? You won't be able to push anywhere near 150 feet of half-inch poly into another pipe.

And since you mention a pump losing its prime, that would suggest this could be a suction line, and reducing the size of a suction line can lead to pump problems.

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

There is a tool available in plumbing that allows you to pull a new pipe thru the old pipe . It splits and expands the old pipe.