1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

poly pipe sizing

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mitchgo, Oct 1, 2011.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

I'm going in on monday to our supplier to see if it fits but I'm seeing if anyone may know this.

Would 160psi 3/4 poly fit inside a 1" 200 psi poly line?

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

hunters blue book gives the id/od/wall thickness of poly mitch:)

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

the question really doesn't have an answer, because the poly pipe dimensions can vary according the resin used

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Theoretically it will fit. Based on the od of the 3/4 and id on the 1"

It appears pex will work too

I have a service line leak 4' under a driveway- The gas line intersects the water line under the driveway so using a mole is out of the question..

Aside from cutting up the road - I was thinking of using the existing piping as a sleeve and shove a new pipe it

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

there is a tool that the plumbers use to pull a new service line thru an old pipe , generally the old blue polly, you pull a cable thru the pipe and attach a metal device on the end , it slices the old pipe splitting it and pulls in a new pipe as you go .

6. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not a poly guy and don't know poly flow rates, so I don't know if this will work for you.

We recently had a similar problem with a broken 1-1/2" PVC main under a driveway. Our fix was to shove a piece of 1" through the existing broken pipe and reconnect it on either side. The reduced flow for the 16'+/- under the driveway didn't affect system operation at all.

7. Wet_Boots

PEX would work, as would any 3/4-inch CTS tubing, but for SIDR-9 3/4-inch IPS poly to fit inside SIDR-9 1-inch IPS poly, don't count on it happening.

8. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I think you are talking about pipe bursting
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Wet_Boots

Same idea ~ anyone making use of the newer PE4710 poly pipe?

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

No this isnt bursting , they use a winch or a cable hooked to a truck and pull the new pipe thru the old while splitting the old .