poly pipes

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by silvercvic, Nov 27, 2006.

1. silvercvic

silvercvic LawnSite Member

I can't seem to find any poly pipe in my area that is strictly for irrigation except for 1/2", can I use the 1" clear poly/vinyl pipe rated for up to 200psi or does it need to be the black poly pipes?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Don't be silly. If all the irrigation suppliers near you do not stock poly pipe, you will either have to use PVC, or look to a well-water supplier.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I started typing a reply, then remembered who this guy is, and changed my mind.

4. silvercvic

Why's it got to be like that? What did I do to you? I am learning this process, I've researched whatever information I could find and I took to this forum hoping I could learn more. Just because my area doesn't have many companies selling supplies and I have a hard to getting stuff, doesn't mean you got to insult me. Whenever I do find a irrigation company around me, either they try to sell their business to me or they markup supplies because I'm a DIYer

5. Dirty Water

I have a strong dislike for any DIY'er who doesn't take the time to learn to do it properly.

I've perceived from your earlier posts two things:

A. Your too cheap to hire a professional.
    B. You don't' want to take the time to figure out how to do it properly. Hey, its just some pipe and some tee's right?

People who just hack things together make it worse for those of us that do it properly as a profession. There is a lot of hard work that goes into irrigation install, you wouldn't know, because you have asked 50 dumb questions and haven't started yet.

If you want an example of a DIY'er I respect, look at Ed G's posts.

6. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

Of course they are going to mark-up the prices to a DIYer. Many of us (contractors) buy in large quanities and often! They know if they treat us well, they will get a better return in the end then a one-time DIYer.

John Deere Landscapes has branches all around your location listed in your profile.

.mz

7. Wet_Boots

You can't expect to buy everything on the internet - just suck it up and pay retail, if you have to. (assuming you are going to actually do any installation anytime soon)

8. silvercvic

Take the time to do things properly, you don't even know what I've done, as far as being cheap, there are some things that people like to learn. Its not like your company is gonna let someone come in and you're gonna teach them what you know. My only source of resource that I've got is the internet and the one book I've found and bought 'Scott's Sprinklers and Watering systems', I've read that book from cover to cover and back. Its got the diagrams and pics, but not every single thing is covered or even pictured. I've read it, and shopped for the things to buy, can you find a picture of a 1" poly pipe on the internet? I've got the big box stores around here and all they carry are the clear poly, that is why I asked the question. -or- Have you heard of a 'lock valve', none of the plumbing stores in my area does, Johndeere quoted me a $150 for a 1" brass and because I research and 'done my homework' on the net, I was able to locate one for $30. DId the book teach me that....no? Did anyone else...no. I only need this because my county requires it!

Is it stupid of me to ask what recommendation of controller brand? or RPZ? or sprinkler head brand? If I didn't do my homework or read my materials to learn, I wouldn't have known what my GPM or water pressure is, do you see me asking how to do that?
    Do you see me asking how to cement PVC or how to dig a hole?

I know that irrigation is hard work, I wanted to learn it and try it on my own property, I appreciate the hard work that you guys do and this was one of the only place that can help with some personal irrigation problems. If you don't want to help, you didn't have to put that thread in, again it insults me.

As far as installation, I've got 3 of my zones up for my front yard and flower bed, passed county code, this last part is for my 3 zones in the back for my lawn and micro-irrigation. I wanted to use poly so I wouldn't have to dig up my backyard.

You think I'm a stupid DIYer, but I've learned what learned, I've got one of the greeniest lawns in my neighborhood and I get asked advice from my neighbors, you want to put my knowledge to the test, I may not know everything, but I'm persistant. Live and learn!:laugh:

9. Dirty Water

You do realize you can plow PVC too right?

SilverCvic, your questions have generally come across as pretty clueless (including wanting to use Wirsbro underground), I'm sorry, but I don't have tons of patience when you could answer all your questions if you just searched and read.

10. Wet_Boots

Hey, what can you expect from a state that thinks peanut soup is actually edible. :p