Poly questions

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PerfiCut L&L, Aug 13, 2010.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

I hear a lot about how effecient poly is to install, so were going to try it on our next install but I have a couple questions.

What kind of reel holder or other method have you found to be efficient when pulling this stuff?

Secondly, the friction loss chart I have on this poly 80 psi product says 1" tops out at 12gpm at 4.45fps. Is this right? S Sure limits the amount of rotors running on a single zone doesnt it?

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

have a guy un roll the pipe..

Use inch and a quarter and then T to 1 inch..

either way how many rotors you getting off 12 gpm?

3. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd only use 100 psi poly at one inch, as a minimum. The *safe* range is 12 to 14 gpm.

What size water meter and supply pipe from that meter?

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I could have sworn 1" poly carrys about 3 gpm more then a 1" valve will pass, no?

5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

we have put 18 gpm through 1 inch poly..

yes there was hammer.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Dont have charts here or the desire to go hunting but I thought poly carries 21 and a 1" valve will pass 18

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

BTW cappy , sorry to hear about the misses.Keep ya chin up, or down , depending on the activity.

8. WalkGood

One inch poly *will* carry much higher gpm, but things will be screaming like a banchee and hammering like a truck hit the house. That is, if you have the volume and pressure available for it to work properly.

But why push it?

At a typical residential site around here, 5 rotaries max on 1 zone of 1 inch poly is 99% of the time all you need. Maybe 6 if there are many 1/4 turns and/or smaller nozzles.

Sure, there are many residential sites with more heads on 1 inch poly.

If available pressure and volume drop in the future, then all those heads will just be spitting.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I have one system where a section of one-inch poly carries almost fifty - count 'em - fifty gpm. Of course, no valves are downstream of the section, which passes underneath a walk and a raised bed.

10. WalkGood

Does the sidewalk vibrate like a bed at the Commack Motor Inn? [​IMG]

;):dizzy: