1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Poly Reel-Holder

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mrgreen3, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Kartanimal29

Kartanimal29 LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

I just hate walking the pipe out, takes up my time LOL. One plus to the reel is that you will not have alot of scrape pipe in the back of your truck at the end of the day. I think with the reel that you could probably get 2 or 3 more zones in in a day too. If you have one guy unroll the pipe when you pull , now he can be digging the head holes. Many time I have kinked the pipe using the loop way.

Too big. The one I seen was a flat unit, made for easy transport. It wouldn't be much bigger then the roll of pipe. I have a day in the shop this Wed. I think I'll stop down at the local metal yard and buy some 1 in. square stock and make one. I'll take some pic. when I'm done with it.

2. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a brochure for one of those at one of my supply houses. Their website is so bad that it stopped me from ever doing a follow up. I wouldn't have minded getting some more info on their plow as well...

If the pipe roller would knock down to minimize trailer space when not in use, it'd be pretty slick.

3. Duramaxsle1

Duramaxsle1 LawnSite Member

What is wrong with their web site? Mike is a fantastic guy to deal with, I bought a plow off him in 2001, it has worked great, blows the ditchwhitch sx100 out of the water any day. The reel doesn't fold up but is light and stands up on end.

4. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I fianlly spent exhorbitant money last year, tracked one down in the mid west and bought it. I'd threatened to buy or make one for years and didn't. I'm happy I finally bought it. Works well and cuts labor in half for pipe installation. The guys even leave the pipe and rack on the trailer sometimes and just reroll when done. I'll check on the manufacturer.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Or take a picture with a digital camera and post it up here with the manufacturer's name and link. (Just trying to beat Mike to the punch line.) :laugh:

6. Kartanimal29

Kartanimal29 LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

I have some pic. of the one I'm making tomorrow

7. bobw

What makes thier plow so much better than a 100sx (believe me, no love lost here on 100sx's... grrr)?

Also... what kind of a price range is that pipe reel? I don't think I'm gonna be able to find a decent helper this year, so that reel may be a good investment from a time perspective.

Too bad that UTI doesn't seem to have any distributors this far west.

8. Duramaxsle1

Duramaxsle1 LawnSite Member

It's built very tought and easy to operate. The 100sx doesn't even compare.

I think the reel is around $600.00.

9. bobw

$600 for the reel???!!!! I'm thinking that that won't fit into the budget.... yikes....

10. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Helper to roll out pipe at $X/hour divided by $600 = ????? Even at minimum wage (and if you can find help that will even show up 3 out of 5 for minimum, you're beating the odds really bad) your going to pay for the reel in a month.

Machinery that you use is rarely a bad investment. One of the biggest humps an installer makes it over is owning vs renting his machinery.