Poly sand on pavers

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimmyStew, Oct 17, 2007.

1. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

First time using polymeric sand (Alliance SuperSand if it matters) and I made a small error! Seems some of the pavers were damp when I put down the sand and now there is a residue on a small portion of the walkway. How can I clean this off? Will I need to replace those pavers or will the stuff wear off with foot traffic?

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

The polysand will wear off in time. You can scrape it off, but why damage the surface? I wouldn't be too concerned about that unless it is in a high-traffic area and noticeable.

3. JimmyStew

That is great news! One other thing, I noticed that after I wet the walkway down, some of the areas where the sand was on the surface seemed slippery, will that continue every time it gets wet or after the sand sets up will that stop? I'll check tomorrow to see just how bad things look!

4. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot LawnSite Member
    from nj

it'll wear off. you could try a softer plastic scraper found in the painting section of most stores. shouldnt mark the paver surface. the slipperyness (that cant be a word) should wear off in time with some foot traffic.

next time make sure your surface is dry and lightly wet it down dont flood it.

5. JimmyStew

Yea, its called reading the directions! Most of the walk, about 3/4 of it was dry, but the last 1/4 by the house hadn't had any sun yet and some of the pavers were damp, as in they wern't wet but were darker than the rest. I thought, "thats no big deal"...I'll know next time. I'm just glad it was the walkway at the shop and not a customers (this is why I always try things out at my place first, even if the customer says they don't care if you experiment at their place!)

6. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot LawnSite Member
    from nj

lol yup.

well thats good. its def good to make sure you know the product and how to produce it before you begin to sell it. good thinkin.