poly under pressure yes or no

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Jul 31, 2007.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

just wondering how you guys feel about having a poly main under pressure?

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

what kind of pressure?

how big is the poly?

3. greenmonster304

1" or 1 1/4" 60-80 lbs. some guys say never put poly under pressure, always a master valve. how do you guys do it?

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

Your sources are 100% wrong..Put in the master valve if it makes you feel better..I personally think master valves are for people who are sure of their work...

But, I am sure of the poly..we have over 700 accounts with maybe 50 MV's..I have never once installed a MV on a system with town water, or well.

Just remember with that kind of pressure double clamp your fittings and if its a main triple clamp..Make sure to catch all the barbs..I've worked on 50 GPM 2 inch poly all triple clamped...Never had a problem.
    good luck green.

5. greenmonster304

thats how i feel, i put poly under pressure but i dont use crimp clamps i use the strap clamps on high pressure. the guy at the supply house was telling me about the m/valves. i dont really care for them my self

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

I'm totally in that boat brotha..What do you mean strap clamps? You dont use pinch clamps?

are you talking about hose clamps?

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on the type of Poly.

I'd never run that cheap crap you guys use for laterals as a main.

Out here, most service drops are poly, but they are 200 PSI rated, with 1/4" thick walls and packjoint fittings.

8. greenmonster304

9. CAPT Stream Rotar

dude you should use pinch clamps...

this is how i came off my main and wire for a zone of drip
    check out the clamping..no poly main under that pressure will come off with this connection..
    [​IMG]

10. turfnh2oman

turfnh2oman LawnSite Member

The old rule of thumb is that polyethylene pipe is not to be used as main. Granted the main valve keeps full static pressure from accumulating in theory but ?? There are many reasons why poly is not supposed to be used as main, so my advice is to stick with what works. I sleep easy at night with good glue joints on PVC.