Polymeric Sand Color on Paver Patios

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimLewis, Aug 12, 2010.

1. DaveyBlue32

DaveyBlue32 LawnSite Member

Who do you order dark brown from? Or, can you buy local? Ty, David
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, but the "use by" expiration date hasn't passed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We never use anything but grey poly sand. But pretty much every brand comes in all sorts of colors. Wherever you buy poly sand locally, just ask them if they can get it in brown. It may be a special order item, as it isn't very popular.

4. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

We almost always use beige, it's a good contrast color that matches most pavers and when it starts to weather it's not as drastic of a change as grey. Most of the time I use poly but not always, some times I use joint sand and a satin sealer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DaveyBlue32

I usually want to maintain permeability... but on this little patio i'm wrapping up I really need all water to run off where I want it to ... ie ... the poly ... but I really want to do it in dark brown or really dark gray ... I'm afraid if it looks like crap I'll be out of luck ... think I'll get a 2'x2' piece of plywood and make some sample boards ... nothing in the real looks like the pictures ... know what i mean!

6. JimLewis

Are you installing a variety of pavers that are permeable? Or just hoping to get some permeability from regular pavers with regular sand???

7. scagrider22

I always try to run the water off the patio, I don't use poly when I'm installing a paver that has very rough texture such as UNILOCK iL Campo because its very hard to get the poly off.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. JimLewis

I hear ya there! We have major struggles with that. But we still always use the poly anyway.

9. scagrider22

Have you ever used poly sand with umbriano? I have not simply just because UNILOCK says not to but I was not sure why. When I do patios with iL Campo as an accent I use a shop vac to clean off the top of each paver after I blow off, it makes a big difference in the final product. But it is way to time consuming to do this on a patio with iL Campo as the field paver!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. DaveyBlue32

I use both ... and I just did a pea gravel float over ... that instead of grinding/polish I want to do dark poly to kinda grout the marble gravel ... if I ever figure out how to upload pics into the quote I'll be able to show you the finished surface ... The good news is that they have said "go on with it!" and if it's not good I'll surface stain it or something to make it look good. They're a cool customer that are willing to take the chance... :usflag: