Polymeric/Stabilizer Sand Failure

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by njconstruction, Dec 28, 2006.

1. njconstruction

njconstruction LawnSite Member

Hey all, I just wanted to give you a heads up, I had a bunch of stabilizer sand fail this year, it never hardened up right and was washing out. Really pissed me off since I pitched it as an added cost to the customer, then it didn't work. So I called the manufacturer and low and behold, I actually got some help.

Turns out the manufacturer will come and powerwash the bad sand out and replace it for free, they had a problem making some sand and didn't put enough glue in some batches. I have to admit, I was mad enough to never use their product again, but I was impressed with the customer service. My sand was Techo branded, but I understand that Alliance DP makes the sand for Techo block, EP Henry, Nicolock, and Alliance Super Sand, plus who knows what else. If any of you had any stabilizer sand fail, you should definately get in touch with the manufacturer and try to get your jobs fixed. The guy I talked to was Bob Filteu, with Alliance Designer Products, 514-942-2562. Good luck in the New Year everyone.

2. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone take note to the product names and buy them. They are supporting a brother and should be treated as such. Obviously they are a good company. Rarely does a manufacturer take accountability for a liability an installer could easily be blamed with. God Bless them!!!!!

3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I heard about this problem.

Did your sand stay soft and mushy, never harden up?

4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We have used Alliance and have had that same problem on some projects.

Chris

5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info

6. njconstruction

njconstruction LawnSite Member

Yea, the sand stayed soft and mushy on a few jobs, and I knew it wasn't right cause on a different job we did, the sand hardened up like mortar.

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

just a FYI -

I tread very lightly with a sales pitch for poly sand.

I am very careful what I promise with the product.

I have had a few problems with polly sand over the last 5 yrs, we do still use it, and I plan to continue to do so, yet I personally am not 100% sold on the product / concept, for reasons that would take too long to type.

8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Polysand is a standard install with us. We use it on every job and as I go back for inspections, I see that it does not always stay hard, in fact, most times due to torrential rains the polymers wash out and then the sand ends up splattered all over your flatwork.

Chris

9. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

We use poly- sand as a standard and I also usually educate the customer why we use the product, but the only thing they seem to care about is the weed prevention and low maintenance. I usually let them know it's not proven to stop weeds and not guaranteed to last for the life of the patio. However, on that note, I usually will recommend they seal their patio.

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

curious, with sealing don't you have to reapply every couple years or so like a deck?

I normally use polymeric sand but this past year I did a flagstone install and because of the larger joints I went with the stabilizing sand. Well by the time fall came around and with all the rain we had 1/2" of it washed out. I thought this was just the difference in the product but now I am wondering if it has to do with a lack of glue?

Here is a pict of the walk:

Before_After_Manitou.jpg