Polymeric/Stabilizer Sand Failure

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by njconstruction, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Techo-Bloc

Techo-Bloc LawnSite Member

Alliance did have a few problems with their mixtures in 2005 and early 2006. Every issue I have come across has been fixed by the Manufacturer in a timely fashion. Alliance solved their mixing issues in May of 2006 and I have not has an issue with their new batches. Alliance is a great company and I highly recommend their "new" Polymeric sand.

2. njconstruction

njconstruction LawnSite Member

I too have grown more cautious about how I pitch it to the customer, making sure I don't sell it as a miracle product. I also agree that most of my recent projects have come out fine, with all the sand setting up as it should. The failure was sort of strange with the old stuff as half a job would be fine, and the other half would just wash out or never harden up. I guess they just had some early QC issues. Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

3. B. L. Landscaping

B. L. Landscaping LawnSite Member

has anyone had a problem with poly sand from unilock

4. njconstruction

njconstruction LawnSite Member

Funny you should mention unilock - I used Techniseal on a job once, then the customer had me add to the job several months later, the Unilock rep sold me Unilock sand that was supposedly the same as the Techniseal but it was garbage. Different color, different texture, and it didn't work well at all. Very unhappy with them, despite several angry phone calls, they won't admit its different. Go figure.

5. Bogor

Bogor LawnSite Member

I have a guy coming down from canada to look at a couple of my jobs where the sand didn't really work, I'll keep you guys posted on what happens, hopefully he shows up.

6. B Landscape

B Landscape LawnSite Member

I'm new here on LawnSite and have joined to share and get outside views on product. I used Techniseal poly on a few jobs and found that the product is not holding with time. It does go soft with rain, lifts, separates, ect. It is failing on two separate jobs that are now coming three years old. Is there better luck with the Gator Dust? The application is for an irregular bluestone patio. Also is there a sealer that is recommended for bluestone and possibly seal the poly as well? I've just about thrown in the towel with the poly. I don't oversell it to the customer but need a good joint filler (a solid product) for irregular bluestone patios. I started years ago with the Belgard poly and it was terrible, switched to Techniseal still not so good. Is there a better product out there? Any answers?

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Same here.

Did a 400ft paver sidewalk with technoseal and it failed after 2 seasons. I've added sections to the walk and now use gator sand and like the results so far.

I think I might be making a phone call tomorrow to air some grievances.

8. SSmith

SSmith Banned

Never used Poly. Never will. Completely unnecessary product.

9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe not putting the geo textile could save you some money as well.

10. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you use anything else besides pure sand?
    More and more customers nowdays ask and know bout polysand, might be that not all claims are tru, could be but I think even with some failure rate an a flexible installation, polysand is the only way to go for now