Polymeric/Stabilizer Sand Failure

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by njconstruction, Dec 28, 2006.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

This is very true and I could not agree more.

The people that think using poly sand is a live or die issue - are people that are NOT what I consider veteran contractors.

Two points:

1) I am in my 16th year working with pavers. Not 16 years in business, I have been in business for 22 years. When we started installing pavers there was NO poly sand. We used #2 Silaca sand. It works perfect. I've been back to jobs and have seen the sand be as hard as mortar.

2) Europe. All public sidewalks in Germany are pavers. Always has been always will be. Who here has been to Europe? I have not SEEN one interlocking pavement in Europe where Poly sand is used.

Posted via Mobile Device

2. DVS Hardscaper

Definitely not "the only way to go"

That's a very mis leading statement

Posted via Mobile Device

3. DVS Hardscaper

We're talking an ingredient that is at the top 2" of the ground. It's gonna freeze. The rain is gonna beat on it. The sun is gonna melt on it. I have NO high expectations for poly sand.

Even mortared pavements go bad. Water freezes in the winter, an the mortar cracks.

Are you 110% sure you've applied it to spect to a Tee? I can't tell you how many times I've seen poly sand incorrectly applied. And the immigrants workers are notorious for not doing it right.

Posted via Mobile Device

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

wasn't there a thread or post saying something to the effect that Techniseal was having issues with their sand at one time ??

5. big daddy b

big daddy b LawnSite Member

We've put down pallets of Techniseal polysand on a few jobs and we've never once had a problem with installing it. We all took their "class" and became certified applicators.
    The only time we don't use poly sand is on Clay pavers because of how porous they are.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I used it on, but the pavers were Whitacre/Greer pressed clay pavers. Had a haze for a week or so, but went away after a while.

7. Birchwood

Birchwood LawnSite Member

2) Europe. All public sidewalks in Germany are pavers. Always has been always will be. Who here has been to Europe? I have not SEEN one interlocking pavement in Europe where Poly sand is used.

Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

This spring Unilock has partnered with a company out of Germany that makes a polysand that comes in a 50# bucket and you squeegee over the bricks to fill in the joints. It allows water to drain through, so it is exceptable for permeable installs.

The company stated that they have been using this product all over the streets in Germany for many years.

8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Andrew, do you use poly sand?

9. DVS Hardscaper

Yes.

But....I do not preach that it's do or die. I do not sell it to a client as a must have. Because it's not :)

Poly sand is not an absolute necessity. Keyword: absolute

10. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I like using poly sand instead of just regular sand for most paver applications. We use it almost exclusively and have never really had any trouble with it setting up for us and beating the weather. I also think it makes a better finished product than regular sand. IMO