1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Polymetric sand Question?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Blmtlandscapes, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Blmtlandscapes

Blmtlandscapes LawnSite Member

I have just used poly sand for the first time on a walkway. I followed the directions carefully but we got some unexpected rain about 8 hours after I put the sand in place. Luckily none of the sand made it on to the pavers but when I felt the sand this morning it was really soft and it seems like the chemical bond barely took place. Will it eventually get stronger when the weather gets better, or is there anything else I can do to help make it stronger. Thanx

2. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

Too much water too soon will cause the "polymer adhesive" portion of the sand to wash out. If this happens it will probably never set up. I'd wait for a spell of 3 or 4 dry days and see if the sand hardens. If it doesn't you have no choice but to remove it and reapply. The same can happen if you apply too much water when installing the polysand. We also tried a brand once (forget the name) that was applied under perfect conditions and wouldn't set. Removed it and reinstalled with Techni-Seal (our preferred and now only brand we use) and no problems in 3 years.

3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the correct procedure for appling the water to the sand on a paver job. I only did it once and wasent sure.
    Mike

4. shethinksmytractors_sexy

shethinksmytractors_sexy LawnSite Member

just sweep the sand in real good and mist over it with a garden hose. it should set up with no problems if you do that.

5. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

We use Techniseal brand , too.

1. sweep it in
    2. run compactor over it one more time
    3. sweep again to fill remaining joints
    4. use a gas powered blower and blow off all polymer dust
    5. lightly wet down the sand..this sets it just below the chamfer or surface
    6. wait 15 minutes and lightly wet again
    7. wet one more time....
    8. Get paid

if you apply the water to fast one of two things will happen. One,
    you can wash all the polymers to the bottom of the joint. Two, all
    the polymers can float to the top and stick to the pavers.

If you do not apply enough water, all the polymers through out the entire joint will not get activated.

Tip: if you see white foam on the pavers you have added water to fast

Sand will start to set up by the time you clean up and are ready to head out.

Your current problem: If the sand does not set up, I would try to apply IN sealer from Techniseal. It is invisible and will lock the sand in the joints.
    It is easier then removing the other sand.

Good luck

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.Com

6. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

My favorite thing to do after the poly goes in :D

7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

If you would of waited til noon most likely the sand would not of been soft. It just didn't get a chance to have the sun on it yet. Rex said it best, its very important to mist it lightly and not to over do it. If you had set it up properly I doubt rain 8 hrs later would of made much difference.

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Poly sand can be frustrating when you have an Immigrant work force and none of them speak enough english to comprehend why the water spray must be a mist. :dizzy:

9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Thats got to be a challenge to have employees that don't speak fluent english. I am lucky to have bilingual employees.

10. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

It's nice to speak Spanish.