pompas grass

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stimpy, Jan 19, 2005.

1. stimpy

stimpy LawnSite Member

What do you charge to cut pompas grass. If they have more then one bush do you charge say 40$ for the first bush then 25$ for the 2nd and 3rd or is it a flat rate for all bushes. Thanks.
  2. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

Man, I hate that stuff - it'll cut the heck out of you if you're not careful! If it were me, I would estimate how long it'll take to do them and go with the $1.00 a minute theory - or maybe more since its a pain.

3. stimpy

stimpy LawnSite Member

I know what you mean. I have two big clumps at my house. I used to cut it with a chainsaw, but last year I tied it up with twine and lit it on fire. Gone in 60 seconds. It was a rainy day. I dont think customers would go for that though.
  4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

what is pompass grass????
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I done one for a lady last summer for 10 bucks and it took me an hour, it was a big one. The reason I done it so cheap was her low fixed income but it will be my last one, I should have charged her at least 35. That stuff is like a dull razor blade.
  6. stimpy

stimpy LawnSite Member

TClawn It looks like dune grass but it gets 4 to 8 feet tall. green inthe summer it dies in the fall and turns tan. People plant at the end of their driveways most of the time. Its a round clump 3 to 10 feet around looks real nice. sometimes it has a furry looking head on top like a tan dust mop.
  7. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

hedge trimmers work great on them.
  8. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a trick Take a belt wrap it around the grass Take hedge trimmers cut no mess to clean up do one in 2 min.
  9. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

10. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Cortaderia selloana is a grass native to Argentina and very invasive under the right conditions. There are several varieties the most popular are the white and the pink. Leaf blades are VERY sharp and can open unprotected flesh like a razor. It can grow up to ten feet tall and the flowering tops are characterized by large feathery plumes.( I am a botanist and I love ornamental grasses)-Garth
    P.S It is spelled Pampas Grass.