Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Nov 5, 2000.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Need some help figuring out the easiest way to cut back this raggedy stuff. I have one property that has about 10 in a row and they are all overgrown, in fact covering up several good yopans. I know somebody has cut this stuff back, burning is out of the question because of the location, and no water to the site.

Any help will do!

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Pompass ass? :D

Level it with a hedge trimmer. It might take awhile :)
  3. ACE

ACE LawnSite Member

I have used saw blade on trimmers to cut back some grass. You will have to keep cut grass from wraping around the head. GOOD LUCK!
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

We use long sleeve shirts, gloves, and hedge trimmers.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

hey homer.... I love cutting th9is stuff...it feels like razors on your skin and customers hate it.... it pays real good!!!!hech i cut this stuff wearing tank tops and never touch the stuff. take one sthil fs 75L extendened hedge trimmer to do all your cutting that puts you aboutwhat 3-4ft away from touching it.moving it.. this stuff intertwins so much that i take my 26" alum. lanscapeing rake and roll the stuff on to a tarp drag it to the street or a pile on the property. i cut the center out leaveing a 2inch edge around the outside and go down about 1-2 feet make the next cut a lot less material less clean up and the appearence in not effected... well thats how i do it...
  6. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I take a bungee cord and wrap it around the base. Then take the hedge trimmers and cut it off at the ground. The cord will hold must of it out of the way for cutting and makes transporting it the the truck easier also.
  7. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

Chain saw works great for the initial cut,after you get all the big stuff cut then go in with hedge trimmers.
    I have done this for several years,and chain saw 1st is by far easiest.
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

That bungee cord sounds like the way to go. You won't have grass dropping all over the place.
  9. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

The other guys are right.Chainsaw first,then hedge trimmers,use a pitchfork to throw it on a tarp,then drag it out.If you are getting rid of it totally then use a chainsaw to make vertical cuts and split it with a spade.It comes up real easy this way.
  10. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I use the echo articulating head hedge clippers works like a mowing machine. Can cut it a lot faster than the guys can pick it up. Cuts to within 3 to 4 inches of the ground. This was a piece of equipment that was very costly when I first started but has been well worth it. Ditches with overgrown weeds are no match for it. Some jobs look bad and sometimes I can bid fairly high, knowing that this machine will make short work of them.