1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pompous grass?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Branchland, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best way to remove pompous grass? I'm sure I spelled it wrong. :rolleyes: Dig it up? Is it hard to do? I've got 2 large plants of it that the home owner wants gone.
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Cut it down and dig it up.Wear long sleeved shirt,heavy gloves and eye protection.It will slice you up if ya don't.
  3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Heehee, yep you meant PAMPAS grass, the lunatic ahead of me in line at the bank today was a POMPOUS AZZ...(trust me a couple of beers makes this really funny) :drinkup: .

4. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

How hard is it to dig up? What about burning it up? I've seen that done but not sure how good it works. I've done cut it down but need to get ride of it all.
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

My neighbor burns his every winter and soon as the weather warms up it greens up and comes right back, I dont think fire will work

6. Cahsking

Cahsking LawnSite Member

Dig, Dig, Dig....then... Round'em up Move'em out. It is like any other perennial, you have to get to the base of it. And take out any traces of it.
  7. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

duck tape the blades together and use a hedge trimmer to cut it now throw that away then dig it up split them in 2 pieces each and sell them for 20.00 a piecemoney on both ends the stuff is indestructable.
  8. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Dig it up and dig deep...Quater the root sections and sell them..In the right places it is great stuff...We use it for wind blocks out here in Nebraska and it makes a great snow fence in the winter..