Pond advice

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Grounds Pro, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Grounds Pro

Grounds Pro LawnSite Member

I’ve got a half acre pond I’m doing some work to. it's an existing pond
    that my customer wants one ton wall block installed around the
    perimeter. It will include draining the pond, dry time, most likely some
    grade work for some type of shelf for the wall blocks to sit on, and a
    gravel base and back fill. my customer wants me to use venanight to seal
    the bottom which as I understand is some powder you just spread around
    the floor of the pond. Once water touches it the venanight will harden
    forming a water tight seal.
    now I’ve never worked with an existing pond of this size before. in
    theory it appears to be a some what simple project. of course there’s
    Murphy’s law so I’m writing for some veteran advise. Dose it appear that
    I’ve over looked any important steps?

Picture included

Athans services buisness picture 9051336.jpg
  2. pondfishr

pondfishr LawnSite Member

What is the reason to install the wall blocks. Is this just to add cosmetic appeal? Also what is the reason for installing the bentonite? Is the pond leaking today? How deep is your pond? Is it spring fed or where does the water source come from? Where are you going to pump all of that water? How are you going to fill it back up "rain water".

You are right this could be a simple project but you will need to do some homework in advance. If you are stopping existing leaks you want to make sure that it works the first time; draining a pond takes a while and you don't want to do it twice. If it is spring fed it might fill back up quickly so drying could be out of the question. The bentonite is sold in 50 pound bags powder or pellet form. You usually can get it from the local co-op. It should be broadcasted over the bottom area and walked into the soil of possible. This could be difficult if you can't get the bottom dry. If the pond is not leaking today the bentonite won't hurt anything but I am not sure why you want to drain it completely and use it. I have some experience with ponds and have rehabed and built a few. I would recommend going to pondboss.com follow the ask the boss link. There are some really knowledgeable people in that forum that will be happy to help you out. It is one of my favorite places to hang out when I an not online hear. Let me know how it works out.
  3. pondfishr

pondfishr LawnSite Member

Here is another try for my pond. We dug this one about 3 years ago.