pond algea?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by steve in Pa., Jun 12, 2005.

1. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

What is a good way of keeping pond algea from growing all through the pond? I have drained and cleaned out the entire pond. Looked good for about two weeks crystal clear then the algea started now it is everywhere again

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

How many fish do you have, to amount of plants? Do you have a bio-filter? I have the same problem with my pond. I have too many fish for 1. the size of the pond, and 2. the amount of plant life to use up the nitrates.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Copper sulfate..................

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

My mistake, should have read the forum. My ponds are 1 to 3-1/2 acres :D

5. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

if you recently drain and refilled your pond. it will have to re cycle and could take up to 8 weeks. IS the algae green hairy stuff or a brownish color?
    Water changes of 10-% a week will help.

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Small pond, no fish - ordinary household bleach will keep it clear. Small pond with fish, Cutrine-Plus will keep it clear.

7. n2h20

when adding chemicals to a pond its like putting a band aid on a broken arm. more plants, better filters, or more water changes.

8. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it's the green hairy type algea, and i have 5 fish 3 golds and 2 koi's ponds about 600 gallon. It looked great after cleaning.

9. n2h20

start doing 10% a week water changes.. and make sure you get all that sludge at the bottom (if any)/// then treat it with dechlorinator, and fill er up.

10. n2h20

is it a gravel bottom pond?