pond bank?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdh, Jul 3, 2001.

1. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

what are you all using on the pond banks? there is some here that i know my dane would slide right in the water . is there any tricks to this ?

2. ever try a flymow deal before? the lawn mowers that slide along the sides, not on wheels. i know that husky makes them. i see them being used at golf courses by the sand traps.

3. jjfehr

jjfehr LawnSite Member

have pond in back of my house, not a real steep bank though! I still pull out the 21" and give her hell, the large machines will get stuck, as it is pretty soft around the pond

4. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

I have a pond also but banks are sloped away from the pond.My great dane chariot slides down it alot.I was just wondering how you guys
    mow with the slopes that go into the water?Is there any tricks to mowing near water.

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I just try to get as close as I can and trim the rest. I've have gotton too close before and slide into a canal. I learned my lesson.

6. script

script LawnSite Member

Usually I'll trim a few feet from the edge with the trimmer or the 21" mower. I've gotten close before and had my bigger mower start to slide toward the water. Didn't go in, but scared the heck out of me enough to not take that chance again.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I use a 32" Toro wb. It sure is easier to pull out of the mud than a ztr.:blob3:

8. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I will back down the slope to the water and only mow sideways throwing grass away from the water (grass clippings increase alge growth) until I get far enough away to stripe. If its too steep for the DC I'll get out the WB, It will go where I can"t walk.