Pond Builders Question, How big do you usually build?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by CJF, Mar 7, 2009.

1. CJF

CJF LawnSite Member

Just curious and just for some fun...:)

How big and what kind of ponds do you guys usually build for the average backyard? Approximate size, gallon-age? Do you build koi ponds, water gardens, small ponds, big ponds?
    I imagine ponds are a big part of a lot of landscapes today, as apposed to several years ago...and one more question, how many of you -- have ponds at your own homes?

Joann

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

I tell all of my prospective customers that the ultimate size and style of their proposed Water Feature is determined by 3 things: Available space, their imagination and their bank account.
    I, personally, can not comprehend how anyone can claim to be a Professional Installer if they do not have a Pond at their home, or, at least, a display Pond at their business office location.

3. CJF

CJF LawnSite Member

Ok Tadpole, Perhaps many pond builders, have no room to build a pond at their place of business, or some have a home office. Also, they may have no time to build their own pond, or the time to maintain it properly. Ponds are a lot of work, it's not a lazy mans sport or for very busy people that have no time to maintain it. Certainly, a landscaper or pond builder may have no time to have one at home or the desire to have one.

That's why I asked, how many pond builders have ponds at their own homes?
    Joann

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  4. tadpole

This begs the question: How can an installer give a client professional advise on a Pond without having the hands-on experience or knowledge of the day-to-day workings of a Pond AND it's inhabitants? Kinda like an automobile mechanic that uses mass-transit. Would you let him work on your vehicle?

5. CJF

CJF LawnSite Member

In the same token, a doctor can't treat you,
    unless he's had the same disease? :)
    Joann

6. tadpole

That is why doctor's go through years of college, internship and residency before they are allowed into private practice. They must have the knowledge and experience from hands-on. Too many "installers" focus only on the aesthetic appeal of a constructed pond and completely ignore the fact that a true pond is a NATURALLY balanced eco-system and should be constructed with this being the paramount consideration. There is a huge difference between a balanced pond and what I refer to as an outdoor aquarium. Knowledge is not just knowing HOW, but WHY. And this is best obtained by daily observation over the entire year. Show me a recognized Pond Professional that does not have a least one (sometimes more) Pond.

7. CJF

CJF LawnSite Member

A healthy aquarium is a balanced ecosystem as well.
    I think someone with on the job experience (building ponds)doesn't necessarily have to have their own backyard pond. I am not trying to be argumentative, and agree that having a pond and taking care of it is useful
    if your in the business, however not absolutely essential. But then agian, I'm not a pond builder, just an enthuastic pond hobbiest. :)

We built our pond with no experience, except for what we read in books and advise we got from a pet shop owner -- that had a large pond in his backyard.
    He drew us a diagram on how to built the pond with shelves that are rocked all the way up to ground level, and a bottom drain gravity fed filter system, and we jumped in head first.
    I think it's more inportant to built a good pond with a bottom drain, and good filteration. Then it's up to the customer to maintain their pond, either by themselves or with a pond service.
    Joann

8. tadpole

Glad that you had success in building your own Pond. You evidently relied heavily on the pet shop owner. He was able to give you good advice based on his own personal experience--knowledge that he accumulated from day-to-day observation of his own pond. You are right that a pond owner should be responsible in maintaining their pond, but don't you think that they should be able to turn to the installer for answers to their questions and not have to search for solutions on their own. There should be service after the sale provided by any installer and they should be able to answer any question or concern that the pond owner may have, not grab the money and run, leaving the customer with "some additional assembly required". The installer has their responsibilities also and the ability to pass along knowledge is one of the main ones.

9. XStream Aquatics

XStream Aquatics LawnSite Member

So if you don't have a pond then you can't be a professional pond builder??????????????Ok I've seen so called professional pond builders with ponds in there back yards and quite frankly I think if they were to show it to a potenial client looking to have a pond built then it would probably scare them away. I bought the house I'm in right now a year ago and thought about building one , but..............................HEY I work on them all day long sometimes til dark and why do I want to come home and do it. My family and I are much more into having an inground pool installed shortly. I want to come home and relax!!!!! If a customer wants to see my work then they can see hundreds of them around the state. I love what I do but I'll tell you right upfront that I could never build my own water feature, my expectations would exceed what I could ever build. I would constantly be reworking something. Not having my own pond does not hinder me from answering a clients question any different than if I had a pond due to the fact that I have enough yearly maint. customers to keep me in the loop on what works and what doesn't. And it's not my first day on the job.

10. XStream Aquatics

XStream Aquatics LawnSite Member

CJF, I usually install on avg. 12'x14'. Last fall I installed a 120'x80' liner and right now installing a 300'x300' (90,000 sq.ft.). Install alot of upflow bogs and alot of bottom drains but the most popular here is rock and gravel ponds.