Pond Building Techniques

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by SlowReleaseNitrogen, Jun 17, 2004.

1. SlowReleaseNitrogen

SlowReleaseNitrogen LawnSite Member

I keep seeing the rubber liner and preformed plastic rigid shell way of building these ponds , but has anyone ever used liner, chicken wire and concrete technique .Ive read about this way in book a few years ago and i thought it was a more permanent installation.I believe the concrete was sprayed in after shaping the chicken wire. whatcha all think?

2. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

You never want to use concrete, there is a chemical in the concrete, that will release, and it will cause some harmfull debris for the pond, stream, waterfall, or fish.

3. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Some people construct ponds that way and yes it's a more durable way to construct a pond, but it adds considerable expense to a pond project. Also keep in mind that a concrete ponds will need to be sealed with a pond safe coating, or properly etched with muratic acid before fish can be introduced. The main enemy that ecthing and sealing keep from entering the pond water is the lime in the concrete.

There's nothing wrong with using concrete over your liner if you don't mind the additional expense and work to make it safe for fish.

It's good that you're using a liner under the concrete. If you don't have a liner under there, you'll sure be buying a lot of bentonite to seal cracks in the concrete. The stuff sure works wonders, but having a liner underneath makes things so much easier.

Vic

4. Ken Kesey

Ken Kesey LawnSite Member
    from Here

What are the benifits of using that method?

I just use the 45 mil. rubber liner from Firestone.

5. Victor

The main benefit to constructing a pond that way is the fact that you can get in the pond and walk around in it without worrying about damaging the liner. The pond is much more durable. There was an article in "Pond Magazine" I think, years ago that made mention of a guy that had completed a massive koi pond. Before they filled the pond, the man, all of his helpers and his family all climbed down into this awsome pond for a group photo. The photo turned out to be very dramatic. There was one small problem....Actually it was a big problem.....The problem was a 115lb Rottweiler that they brought with them down into the pond to be in the photo with them. Almost everywhere that dog had walked in that pond, he left nail punctures in their liner. Can you imagine their horror? I'm sure it took for ever to patch all of those holes. In a concrete over liner pond, this never could have happened.

I actually did the reverse for my personal pond. I encased my two bottom drains in a concrete floor that's shaped like two big bowls. My liner lays on top of the concrete. The concretes purpose is two-fold. First of all, it keeps my bottom drain joints encased in a leak proof block of rock, secondly it gives my pond floor a firm backing. I'll post pictures of how I did this.

By the way guys. If you have a liner pond, I'd never drain it more than half empty unless absolutely necessary. If someone wanted to drain my pond more than halfway down for whatever reason, they'd have one heck of a nasty fight on their hands. No way!

:nono:

Vic

6. Victor

By the way. The reason I'd never drain my pond down more than haf way, is because the weight of the water on top of the liner prevents water from getting under the liner and making the liner bubble up. Once that water is under your liner, it's not easy to get out.

Vic

7. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

8. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon