pond clarity

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by ozz321, Jun 8, 2006.

1. ozz321

ozz321 LawnSite Member

this is my second year since i put my pond in..last yr the clarity was not that good, but this yr it is 10x worse. i have tried every product on the market and nothing seems to help. some days the water color is brown (ussually after a rain) and other days it is a green color. i do have fish, frog and snails in pond that are surviving real well, however, i would like to see them. can anyone recommend a product that will actually work on clearing up my pond. i have used algae illiminators, pondclear, accuclear, microlift..etc.....

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I left you my number if you'd like to call and talk about it man. I'd have 5 pages filled up trying to diagnose your problem. I try not to give overly long responses, the way old JD does. Boy is he longwinded. :laugh:

Vic

3. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Just make sure to post a summary and solution here if you would. I want to learn from this.

4. stoneseller

stoneseller LawnSite Member
    from MD Z7

Hope Vic straightened you out.
    I'm a firm believer most people with cloudy pond water have the following issues, listed somewhat in order.
    Too many fish
    Feeding too much
    Not enough water movement and /or insufficient filtration
    Layers of loose gravel in the bottom, becoming full of decomposing sludge & increasing nutrient levels.
    Not enough plants.

Trying to rely on one of those miracle in a bottle water treatments, which are very efficient at emptying your wallet, but not much more.

5. ozz321

ozz321 LawnSite Member

thanx everyone for your reply...in response to stoneseller..i have just a few goldfish(definately sufficient for the size pond i have), plenty of live plants, i never feed my fish but just allow them to feed off the pond,plenty of water movement (fountain and waterfall)..i do however, have some "mud" on the bottom of my pond from when i intitially installed it..but as i said earlier, my pond had alot more clarity last year than this year. i do not want to have to drain and start over because i know this is not ideal from a ecological standpoint. i know there are vacuums that are available but are kind of expensive and i was trying to avoid that if there were any other solutions/options. by the way, i also was just recently visited by a snake(non poisonous)who now made a permanant home at my pond. maybe i should just accept the fact that nature does not seem to care how clear my pond is

6. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Venomous or not, the snake would have to go from my pond!

7. stoneseller

stoneseller LawnSite Member
    from MD Z7

Ozz,

It this a rubber liner, fiberglass, or concrete pond? If either of the 2 latter, a good way to get the muck off the bottom is a small sump pump. I use one several time a year on our display (concrete). Just rig some adapters to fit a garden hose, and slide the base of the pump around the bottom. The muck you pump out is great fertilizer for surrounding flowers & shrubs.
    If you have a liner, you can pretty simply make your own vaccum. I've seen lots of DIY instructions on various pond forums. Some PVC tubing & fittings, a length of non-collapsing hose, and a small self priming pump will make a better vaccum than most of the ones you will find pre-made.

I agree with Randy re the snake. I've had common non-venomious snakes in both my home & office ponds. Little bastards can open their mouths incredibly wide & get a fish way bigger than I would have believed before seeing it with my own eyes.

8. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

I definitely agree that you need to get to the root of the problem before you dump some magic formula in. that is like putting a band aid on a broken arm.

I would invest in a simple water test kit for ponds. It is an easy way to determine pH, ammonia & nitrate levels, and that is the big 3. Then fix from there.

I have to give myself some credit, vic, I think you are a changed man. I hardly recognize your posts anymore!

9. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

clean your filters more often and do a water change of 10% a week. I also agree with stoneseller. those "products" seem to do more harm than good most of the time...

10. mowerman111

mowerman111 LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried a UV light. I have one in my skimmer, and I dont put any chemicals in other than a little barley extract. It is crystal clear all the time. When I first put the pond in last year, I got the floating algea in it right away, so I went and bought a UV light and within three hours I could see the bottom a little, by that eveing it was clear. and has been ever since.