Pond dreding in Oakland, MI

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by vkulesh, Nov 4, 2008.

1. vkulesh

vkulesh LawnSite Member

IF any of you work on pond digging in Metro Detroit area, can you give me an idea how much you would charge to dredge a 50 by 120 pond. It is about 3 ft deep right now, and I am looking to have it dug to about 10ft in the center. Thanks in advance.

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

draining the water?

if not then you will need a long reach

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Can you get around the whole pond with a machine ?

Any way you slice it you will be in for some big money.

4. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

The pond King has arrived... LOL

For best results you need to completely empty the pond. This fish will die for the digging anyways so there's really no way to save them.

Few questions
    Do you have a place to dispose of the muck?
    Does it need to be trucked or just pushed away?

Your looking at about 1600 yards of dirt to get rid of, can it just be thrown behind the dam and wasted that way.

I could take a regular 210 trackhoe in dig it and lay it all up on the shore in about 12 hours or less.

I've got a big pond dredging job to start on this month, it's about a 4 acre pond that needs the head section dredged, couple thousand yards. I'll be using two 210 size machines and my big mud mats, the muds 8' deep in some spots! We also had to drain the pond down about 7'.

I love playin in mud
    [​IMG]

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

if your in oakland county the first thing i would be doing is looking into a permit. one may be needed but you better hope and pray its not because your going to jump through hoops for ever to get one.

or if you want me to do it for you i will handle all that stuff and give you a price. i just dug a good size pond, still have to finish it up next week.

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

dirtman wait till you get that big boy stuck!!!

7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

its nearly impossible to get a trackhoe or backhoe stuck.....i said nearly....i didn't say it is impossible though

8. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

I NC we have a loop hole where if it is an existing pond you can dredge it out without having to get a permit, get in and get out. It classifies as being maintenance for the pond.

I know my limits on the excavators. I've never got one stuck and it's been deeper mud than in the picture! Came in the door once:dizzy: I had to get out the mini excavator one day after my helper buried it in the woods. The mud was level with the floorboard. It was in easy but I was able to wiggle it out under it's own power. It was nasty!!

9. vkulesh

vkulesh LawnSite Member

There is no fish so I can probably drain it. Although there is a lot of muck so I am not sure if there is a good easy way of draining it. Do you have some ideas for a good setup to drain it?

10. vkulesh

vkulesh LawnSite Member

I'll take a quote.
    The muck and dirt will both stay on the property.
    There are 4 huge willows that will need to be cut down (I am getting quotes on that too) but other than that there should be no problem getting access to the pond.
    What info do you need from me?