Pond Fish Pathology

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by landscaperbob, Nov 24, 2005.

1. landscaperbob

landscaperbob LawnSite Member

Several years ago I had a "hatch" of fish in my pond. Some of these turned black and some were your standard orange & white. These black ones grew at an alarming rate compared to the others.Black ones are about 12", while the others are about 6".Last month I noticed one of the black ones seemed to be prego ....but it kept growing & bloating. It struggled to swim down into deeper water,as it was too buoyant.Now I noticed another black one showing the same characteristics. Had no success trying to catch them (once my fish see my net,they become uncooperative). Now with the colder temps they both happened to be close to the edge & easily netted. Here is a pic of the worst one.Almost as if the spine is arching. I decided to let them fertilize my garden, but when I dumped them out of the net in the garden ....they burst an amber fluid. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bloating.jpg

2. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen this before I dont know quite what causes it..

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

got me stummped

4. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

try this site...

www.aquariacentral.com

You should find an answer there. Lots of users and great info. I know a lot about fish. Unfortunately not enough to help ya out though. I'm sure someone at aquariacentral will have an answer though.

5. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

That poor guy has a blockage of his intestines (fish constipation). He has a severe case of it. He looks like that because he's got trapped food in his digestive system. The bacteria (Aeromonas hydrophila) in his gut, that under normal circumstances is harmless, has multiplied like crazy on that trapped food. When that happened, gases built up inside his intestines. This high pressure caused the lining of his intestines to stretch so much, that fluids leaked through the lining of his intestines and as a result, collected in his abdominal cavity. Sometimes, a fish like that can rupture without being thrown onto the ground. All of that gas his gut is why he had bouancy trouble. In fact one of the first signs that a fish has an impacted digestive system, is a bouancy problem. Sometimes you'll see a fish with this problem with bulging eyes. I'd say that something about the food you were feeding your koi, didn't agree with that type of fish. I hope this helped you buddy.

Vic

6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Bloating can be caused by a few reasons, including what Victor has mentioned, however since you state that other fish show these symptoms as well it may be worth it to look into the possibility that some could be suffering from dropsy, which can be caused by an internal bacterial infection resulting in a collection of tissue fluid to form, and gross swelling. The fluid that you saw could easily be from this. If you notice any protruding scales then that would be a sign of dropsy. And a word of caution is in order since koi with dropsy can affect other fish in the pond, and therefore should be isolated.

BTW, remember not to feed your koi when water temps drop down below fifty degrees.