pond foam sealant?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by fga, Aug 15, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

does anyone know where i can find this on line? nobody here stocks anything like this, especially this late in the season. i'm talking about the black foam you spray in and it seals between rocks, etc.. thanks

2. Ken Kesey

Ken Kesey LawnSite Member
    from Here

3. tippi931

tippi931 LawnSite Member

i think lowes carries this stuff

4. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to Lowes and by a can, or two of "Great Stuff." It's much cheaper than the sealant you'll get from the online pond supply sources and much easier to get. The only thing about it is the fact that it's orange. That shouldn't matter because like the other sealants, it breaks down over time when exposed to direct sunlight. I always hide mine from sun by putting pebbles on it while it's still sticky. That covers it completely and will keep it protected. If I don't think pebbles will look right, I use sand to hide it.

Vic

5. fga

I know the stuff your talking about ( no pun intended there:) ) I've used it around my door jambs. i didn't realize it would last through the water running over it. it is a durable as the pond sealant? or is the only real difference the color? good idea with the sand.

6. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, it is just as durable as what you were talking about buying online. It works "great" with water.

Vic

7. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Northern Equipment has the black foam.

8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing to remember about "The Great Stuff" compared to the black pond sealant is that the great stuff expands more. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but something to keep in mind, something you will possibly need to compensate for.

As always, wear rubber gloves!:) Take them off before you pee!:D

Dan

9. fga

i had to cut off about 4 extra inches! but i think i stopped a leak i had.... i think. i've been working on this pond for a few months now, (here and there when i have the time). everytime i think the leak is fixed, i lose som water.:angry: was my first time using concrete working with the ponds.