*&#@!! Pond Foam!!!

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by JimLewis, Oct 12, 2007.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We just finished a nice water feature (I'll post some pics later). And as I was making some finishing touches today I got some of that damm black pond foam on my hands and arms. Argh!!!! I can't believe I did that again! I know better than to ever get near that stuff without gloves and long sleeves.

Nothing takes that crap off! :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

2. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

brillo pads! I can get most off by using my fingernails and lots of soap. By then my skin is pretty raw.

3. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

cooking or baby oil might work,, The best stuff i have seen take it off was frito chips believe it or not., must be the oil...

4. JimLewis

Well, it took 2 days but I finally got it all off last weekend. Just keeping it wet while at the same time brushing my hand and fingers with a knife at an angle did the trick.

I noticed that over time it came off easier. The first day, nothing would take it off. The second day I could get it off but it was difficult. By the third day it all came off fairly easily.

Only thing I can think of is our bodies produce oil slowly out our pours. So I suppose as the oil from my skin got underneath the pond foam, it made it harder to stay stuck.

5. LandArts

LandArts LawnSite Member
    from 7b

We carry a big bottle of rubbing alcohol to remove it before it sets.

6. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

Aquascapes sells black foam hand cleaner that works great! Go to Aquascapeinc.com if you are interested.

7. LandArts

LandArts LawnSite Member
    from 7b

The Aquascapes hand cleaner costs about 100 times more than rubbing alcohol.

8. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

Great! I was just making another suggestion.

9. JimLewis

Thanks for the suggestion too. I tried nail polish remover which, I assume, has a decent amount of rubbing alcohol in it. That did nothing. I tried everything fromt paint thinner to Goof Off as well. None of those things worked. I seriously doubt rubbing alcohol would have taken this stuff off. It might work for small amounts. But this stuff was caked on my hands in several places. It was a thick layer, not just a small amount.

I will definitely be buying the Aquascapes product and keeping that in stock in case there is a next time. So I appreciate the suggestion very much.

10. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I just had the same problem 3 days ago. That stuff is purely evil. I got out the MSDS sheet on the stuff. It states that before the foam is cured you can use a solvent like acetone (finger nail polish) or mineral spirits. Once it is cured you basically have to rely on abrasion and your skin naturally flaking off.

You can see if you ever get it in your eyes you are really in trouble. It would instantly adhere to your eye and "physical damage" according to the MSDS would result.

That waterfall foam is the ultimate product for the companies marketing it. 1. It is very expensive. 2. You must buy gun cleaner that is even more expensive because it is formulated to destroy your gun.

I just built a little 25' stream and spent almost $100 by the time I got my gun unclogged and falls sealed up.

I am going to check out the hand cleaner offered by aquascapes to see if it can remove cured foam. I am also going to use silicone glove from now on, and wear protective glasses.