Pond for Geothermal Heating and cooling

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by capelawncare.com, Jul 23, 2007.

1. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

My wife and I will be building a home in the North Georgia Mountains. I would like to have a geothermal heating and cooling system. One of the installation options was a pond.

Does anyone have experience with this? I am looking to heat & cool about 4,700 square feet.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Have you looked into using a well for your geothermal? A well boring would cost you about $2500-$3000 without a gaurantee of water and about $5000 with gaurantee. A pond is good if you have the land and a creek or a spring.

3. capelawncare.com

I had not not known about a well. I have seen pond installs and installs that go underground, but horizontal to the surface. I have not seen a well application.

I would think a well would make more sense personally. Where is Winder Ga by the way. We will be in the BLue Ridge area.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Winder is about 20 miles west of Athens. Take a look here for more information on the wells http://www.geoexchange.org/publications/colorado.htm. I work for my fathers engineering company and we have to get septic permits for clients and I think local environmental health department in your area is the regulatory party for the well and I am pretty sure they are the ones to inspect the install. You will of course have to verify this info because around here those systems are not very popular, but for a 4700 sq ft house I think it will offset your heating/cooling cost quite a bit since you are not trying to heat/cool against such extreme hot/cold temperatures...look at it this way...you wont have 4 or 5 big systems sitting outside your house...only the compressors.

5. capelawncare.com

Thanks Man I appreciate it

6. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

I looked into geothermal a few years ago when we were going to build a house (found one built so didn't build). Anyway, a well will work but will cost you more money to operate the unit. The reason is that with a pond (or buried tubing install) you only have to run a small 1/4 to 1/2 hp 110 volt pump to circulate the coolant. For the well, you will be running a larger well pump and have to deal with a holding tank, etc. If you are going to have a well anyway then it would be a moot point I guess.

For the 4000 sq. ft house we were going to build, the pond needed to be somewhere around 0.3 acre and 12 ft. deep if my memory serves me correctly.

Check out www.hydro-temp.com

They have the unit that I was looking at. I even visited the company. Sure wish I had that unit now instead of the 3 conventional units in this house.

7. capelawncare.com

thanks! Appreciate it!

8. haulinggrass

haulinggrass LawnSite Member

I built my house less than two years ago with geo. I have 4000 square foot with 10 foot or higher ceilings. I have the closed loop system and love it. My unit is two stage compressor. It runs at 1 1/2 ton most of the time, but if the stats keep calling for the unit to run it goes to 3 ton. They drilled 3 wells 200 foot each. I was told each ton of the system needed one well. We tried running them five foot below the ground, but had to drill due to solid rock 3 foot below grade. I put the unit inside the house in it's own closet. I used zones with 7 day programmable stats. All my duct work is metal and runs in chases so I have zero loss due to leaks. Hope this helps.

9. capelawncare.com

Mind if I ask how much the system saves you?

10. haulinggrass

haulinggrass LawnSite Member

I can't tell you how much it saves, but the average light bill is $ 70. I also have a Koi pond with water pumps that run 24-7. The unit had a amp draw of 4.5 the day it first started. I hope this helps. The three wells cost 5k. I figure it was an eight year payback. We also put in a whole house dehumidifier with a fan that runs 24-7 to keep the air filtered down to a MERV 14 level. The house fan uses the same as an 100 watt light bulb.