Pond Free Waterfall Start to Finish Photos

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Venturewest, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

This is a project I completed last week. It is the third real water feature I have completed other than in "pond build" classes. Let me know what you think. Hopefully this will be helpful to those just getting started in water features also.

CBefore1.jpg

CBefore2.jpg

CExcavationBottom.jpg

CExcavationTop.jpg

CRockBottom.jpg

2. Venturewest

I forgot this photo after we had added the underlayment and liner. Getting ready to place the rock. This was about 1:00 PM

CLinerBottom.jpg

3. Venturewest

Here is the waterfall test. We temporarily hooked up the plumbing to the pump in the Savio pump basis to test everything out. This was about 5:00PM the same day.

CBasin.jpg

4. Venturewest

All the finishing touches of the stream and surrounding area took another full day. We added the flagstone around the stream head. We put in the stepping stone stairs along the stream. We used a base of crushed granite under both of those. We then mulched with cedar bark.

This property backs up to a golf green. Before we started the falls we cleaned up the blackjack and post oaks that you see in the photo. In the spring we plan on doing some planting to complete the project.

CFinished1.jpg

CFinished2.jpg

CFinished3.jpg

CFinishedBog.jpg

CFinishedClose.jpg

5. Venturewest

25' Long stream. I used a 5' x 30' Firestone liner and underlayment,.
    separate 10' x10' liner in the basin.

Savio waterfall pump basin.

3900 GPH Magnetic drive pump.

2 Spiral tubing. I ran my tubing over the liner so there was no possibility of leak failure.

Instead of using a waterfall weir at the top I have the water bubbling through river rock like a bog. As you can see from the photos the patio looks directly on the start of the falls. The bog works great and is one of the nicest features. I will plant that sweet flag in a cloth bag in the bog. Maybe add some plants in the spring.

6. Ground Effects NH

Ground Effects NH LawnSite Senior Member

Very nice, I like it, Does the stream give of much of a sound ?
    Oh, Nice to is that you can stop the pump, blow the leafs out and fire it up again.

7. Venturewest

I am having trouble viewing all the pics and I have DSL. Is anyone else having that trouble?

8. Ground Effects NH

Ground Effects NH LawnSite Senior Member

9. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Looks very good! like its been there for years! What was the total cost of material's used in the construction?

10. Venturewest

Thanks for the compliment. The cost for liner, vault, pump and plumbing was about $450. The total amount of rock was right around $1000. That is including the little area of flagstone and the stepping stones. There was about 5 tons of the small river rock and boulders. Sandstone moss covered boulders like the ones in the photo run about $150 a ton here.