1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pond help for ROOKIE

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by eatonpcat, Apr 6, 2005.

1. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a small (about 8'x4'x3' deep or so) preformed plastic pond and need to know how to keep the green algea regulated. I'm thinking about getting a seperate filter & pump but don't know what would be the best for keeping it clean. It has 6 three or four year old goldfish swimming around and in the summer it is about 60% covered with water plants. The pump/fountain/filter that came with the pond is of no practical use, so I would appreciate some thoughts on what to do.
  2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

That's easy to fix. Whe you said that you wanted to keep the algae regulated, I'll take that to mean suspended algae. That's the kind of algae that can turn your pond into a big bowl of pea soup. If I were you, I'd just go out and buy a small ultra violet sterilizer that's rated for a pond your size. If you wanted to, you could also make a veggie filter and connect it to your pond. The veggie filter could be a pool above your pond, that spills into your main pond below. You would put aquatic plants (THAT GROW QUICKLY) in the veggie filter and they would consume the nitrates out of the your water. That would leave no food for algae to live on. Hence... no more algae. I would recomend against floating plants in your veggie filter. I'd stick with rooted aquatic plants. Just remember, the quicker the plants you select grow, the more nitrates they will pull out of your pond per unit time Buddy. If you search the web, you'll be able to find lots of options for plants. Just be sure that the place you buy the plants from sterilizes them before they ship them to you (will eliminate the chances of parasites being introduced into your pond from the plants.

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Veggie filter, eh? Aka bog garden... Perhaps rather than a pool like bog filter above your pond you could fashion it more into a shallow very gentle sloping waterway that you could zigzag back and forth, and within this you would have you bog garden plants. There would be more filtration since the water would have to travel further through all of the vegetation. Maybe a veggie pool, but with baffles in it that would force the water to take the long route, eh?

There are also flocculants that can be used to coagulate the algae particles, pond dyes that color the water to help keep the algae's photosynthesis process down, and chemicals such as Cutrine that are used to control algae.
  4. irrigationsup

irrigationsup LawnSite Member

GreenClean is a granular algaecide that is non-copper based so it is safe to use with Koi and plant material. Then at that point I might try barley straw or barley pellets to help maintain water quality.