1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pond help needed

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by mach14604, Aug 9, 2012.

1. mach14604

mach14604 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Our subdivision has a pond like most subdivisions do now. We are putting in a pump/fountain for aeration and looks. My question is can we leave the pump in year round or will it freeze and break. Or can we let it run a couple hours through the winter and be okay also. This is my first time diving into this type of situation so any help or insight is appreciated. We are in Northwest Ohio near the Michigan line. Thanks!
  2. cindyb

cindyb LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I'd pull the pump. I'm in Ky, most of our ponds including our neighbor drainage ponds, freeze over.

I remove my pumps, shut down my waterfalls, put a solar cover on for the fish and and an air stone at half depth so I don't disturb the layers.
  3. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Admittedly, I have absolutely no experience with winter ice-over considering where I am located geographically but, I would think that the wise thing to do would be to remove the fountain for the winter. Better to be safe than sorry.
  4. Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls LawnSite Member

I pull the pump and put a 12" dome heater in so there is a hole for the fish gas to leave and oxygen to get in.

I'm in Ontario, Canada
  5. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Niagara! I thought that you had abandoned us.