pond in between trees

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by khanna, Jun 1, 2004.

1. khanna

khanna LawnSite Member

I have an area in the backyard that is surrounded by 5 trees in a circle. I would say it's about a 15 by 15 area. I was wondering if I could put a pond in the middle of the trees. The area is already 1 foot lower than the rest of the yard. The don't know how much you can dig because of the tree roots in the ground. I was thinking of having 1 foot above ground with a retaining wall and 1 foot below. Would the trees be affected by covering some of the roots with a liner. Also it would not be totally flat under the liner because of the roots in the way and some old tree stumps. The 5 trees would be in the pond. Is this possible? and will it work? Will the trees be alright. The area is mostly shaded by the trees but does get direct sunlight.
    How do you guys think this would look.

2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

3. khanna

khanna LawnSite Member

When I think about it maybe it's a 20 by 25 area between the trees
  4. Green Gopher

Green Gopher LawnSite Member

One more thing to be careful of is the age of the trees. If they are young and grow large like a cedar the roots could push through your pond liner, or worse drive up the bottom of your pond so in five or ten years your two foot deep pond is only six inches.
  5. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

if your going to install retaining wall blocks you have to dig down at least 10" anyway for the first row to bury. So why not just did down for the liner.