Pond install question.

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Quality SR, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Quality SR

Quality SR LawnSite Member

Hello guys, I am a newbie here. I have a question on installing a plastic pond. I have a plastic pond with 2 feed pipes and 2 return pipes coming off the pond. On the filter (Hayward) I have 1 spot for the feed and 1 spot for the return. My question is, can I use a "Y" fitting for the 2 feed pipes and the 2 return pipes coming off the pond? If not can i get away with sealing off one of each off the pond and just use the 2? Instead of 4. Also the threads off the 2 pipes from the feed is 1", the thread off the filter is 1 1/2" can i reduce this to work? Also, I am putting the pond in an area that is open. I don't want the filter and pump sticking out like a swore thumb. Can i pick up a Street Lighting Box and put the pump and filter underground? Like i said I am a newbie here, I can take pictures of what i am talking about but i don't think i can post them. Either way any help would be great. Thanks in advance Rich

2. Quality SR

If anyone has any info please let me know i am starting this project tomorrow. The pond is aprox. 5' L x 3'W x about 2 1/2'D. It is not an oval it is an odd shaped pond. Also if i can cap off 1 return and 1 feed let me know if that will work for that size pond. The person i bought it from had a smaller pond above this larger one. I don't know how he had it hooked up. Any info please let me know. Rich

3. me1223

me1223 LawnSite Member

This is a small pond so you should be fine, with only using the one in and one out, I suggest going with the two furthest apart. Pictures would help because I may have misunderstood some of that.

4. Quality SR

Thanks Me. I will try to have pictures on tomorrow. I thought about using only 1 in and 1 out, but i want to wait until i get some feed back first.

5. Quality SR

Ok here are the pictures. I am going to do one at a time and explain what is in the picture.
    This first picture is the whole pond. You can also see what i was talking about with the 2 Return pipes. (left side of pond)

pond.jpg

6. Quality SR

Picture 2, is the inside shot of the pond with the 2 returns ( to the filter). 1 on the deep end, one higher up. One of my questions were can i cap off one of these? Do i need the 2? Or can i put a " Y " fitting to connect the 2 together? The Pump (where these 2 pipes go) only takes 1 pipe.

2 out inside.jpg

7. Quality SR

Picture 3 and 4.
    This is the picture of the 2 IN's (this is were the water goes back in to the pond. Also this is the shot of the pond upside down)Picture 3 is on one end of the pond ( closer to the OUT's) Picture 4 is on the other end of the pond. Also can i cap one of these off?

feed 1.jpg

feed 2.jpg

8. Quality SR

Picture 5.
    This is the picture of the 2 OUT Pipes. Again the pond is upside down. One is in the deeper end and one is higher up.

return 1 2.jpg

9. Quality SR

Picture 6 and 7.
    Picture 6 is the filter (Hayward). This picture shows 2 holes. 1 is for the IN, and one is OUT. The other side of the filter (not shown) has a hole for the waste ( or Backwash) i know what i have to do with that. :)

The next picture #7 is the shot of the pump. I know what i have to do with this. I have the same set up (sort of) on my pool. (but much bigger) The black coupling gets the OUT pipes. Then i have to get a pipe from the hole on top to the IN spot on the filter. The 2 hole on the filter obviously goes back to the pond ( water comes out the little holes). Now for my next question. The holes IN holes on the pond look like 3/4" or 1" threads. The IN hole on the filter is 1 1/2" Can i reduce this down to make this work.

This is all the pictures that i have right now. I will take more if needed. If anyone has any info let me know. I got rained out today but i am digging the hole on Monday. I hope to have this set by Tuesday. Also i cant PM yet, if someone wants to talk to me on the phone, ill email you my #. Thanks in advance.

in out filter.jpg

pump.jpg

10. Quality SR

It is too late for me to edit my posts. When i said IN i mean the water that goes back to the pond from the filter. And OUT is the pipe that sucks the water out of the pond to the filter. I hope i didn't confuse anyone. :confused: