Pond Install

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by zukofsu, Feb 6, 2008.

1. zukofsu

zukofsu LawnSite Member

Here is a picture of a pond we completed this week. We mainly do hardscapes, but have ventured into ponds. Let me know what you think. Customer is to complete softscape in spring.

hpond with letter2.JPG

2. Danscapes

Danscapes LawnSite Senior Member

For being February there sure is a lot of vegetation on those plants

3. zukofsu

zukofsu LawnSite Member

The azaleas and goldstrike aucuba do look right for this time of year in Maryland. The leafless sycamore that you cannot see in the neighbors yard looks right also. I am not exactly sure what you are insinuating, but do not care to know either.

Attached is another BEFORE photo from SEPTEMBER 30 when estimate was given. The dogwood was removed and the falls start in its place.

I am looking for input from PROFESSIONAL pond builders to critique our project with any HELPFUL suggestions or criticisms.

The kit is an Aquarius pond kit, SS210 pump, and the skimmer is on the right side. Depth is around 24-32" with river rock lining the entire pond (cannot see liner). Customer is going to add aquatic plants and goldfish with no plans of Koi. The left side of the falls are actually steps to reach the top of the falls to clean any debris.

hpondbeforesmall.JPG

4. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

looks good. I would worry about those rocks sliding down, from raccoons or other critters getting in the pond, unless they are cemented in place.

Looks like a lot of rock. I would have maybe tried to move the steps away from the falls a bit to break it all up. This would have left some soil area where you could have plants, that would also break up the rock look.

all and all id say its good for your 1st pond.

5. roknh20

roknh20 LawnSite Member

That looks really good. One of the best pond builders in the Oklahoma area says that rock selection and placement is 80% of what makes a water feature really stand out. I would only suggest that you maybe mix up a few larger boulders instead of so many small stones.

dino_pond_spic.jpg

6. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

Hi roknh2o

Who is this pond builder you speak of? Just curious as I am also from the Tulsa area.

7. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

You are correct. Large stones anchor the entire setting. Small stones should only be used to accent the larger ones.

8. roknh20

roknh20 LawnSite Member

Randol's Ponds and Landscaping. There are really a number of good pond builders in this area. Do you install water features?

9. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

I agree with he says about the size of stones and yes Kevin does build very nice features. Yes I also build features in the area. Is this Chris?

10. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

3 Oklahomans on one lawnsite thread. Just wanted to say hi. I am in Edmond. You guys should have come down to the spring kick off in Shawnee. Bob Dews did the pond build and he had some good ideas. Do you guys do any work in the OKC area?

I agree this is a good pond for the first attempt. The large boulders would help alot. Not only aesthetically, but they would also reduce labor of hand stacking all those little rocks. Study some really nice water features and when you go back in the spring you can do a few things to the edges, (remove some rocks, add some soil here and there, and a few boulders) and you can dramatically improve your feature.