1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pond is filled up every 3 days and rocks cracking!! HELP PLZ

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by epheus, Feb 9, 2008.

1. epheus

epheus LawnSite Member
    from texas

Hello all,

Just need a little help, that would be in assistance from someone who knows, thanks!!

My pond that I installed is having to be filled up ever 3 days, its about a 10 by 6 pond, with a 2 tier waterfall.

Also, tons of green gunk on the waterfall and in the pond.

Koi doing awesome!

Also, my beautiful stones (sandstone?) is cracking and breaking up, what gives!!! This was my first attempt, thought it looked great, now its falling apart. I will add pictures soon.

2. a&llandscapes

a&llandscapes LawnSite Member

Waterfall how is it built? If you let it leak how far does it go?
  3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like you probably have a leak in your falls or pond. To find out, turf off the falls and mark the pond water level. Leave it for a day or two and then check your mark. If the water has dropped significantly, the leak is in your pond. If the level stays the same the leak is in your falls. The rocks are cracking because they are sandstone (they absorb water). If it is getting below freezing at night, the water in the rock is expanding as it freezes and cracking. This is how they used to split large stones from quarries.