Pond liner floats up after heavy rain?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by lankfordservices, Feb 8, 2008.

1. lankfordservices

lankfordservices LawnSite Member
    from TN

I recently installed a waterfall with a 20ft stream and a pond below it that is about 4ft x 8ft. There are no leaks in the liner, Iv already checked that, it is about 2 1/2ft deep and when we dug it we stopped at the point where there was thick clay. It does fine until we get a heavy rain then the liner will float up. I would appreciate anyone's response or ideas as to the cause of my problem and how to remedy this.

2. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

The "hole" is filling up with water., You need to either raise the "edge of the pond, so the top of the pond is above grade... or install some sort of drainage under the liner. with it being all clay that area fills up with water. I dont deal with the much in my area so im sure some other peeps on here will have more detailed info.

3. roknh20

roknh20 LawnSite Member

I agree, the hole is filling up with water because of the clay you encountered. The best way is to divert the water so that it's not running so close to the pond. Raising the area on the outside perimeter of the pond with stone and dirt will keep the water away from the liner.

4. lankfordservices

from TN

Thanks, that was kinda what i thought was the problem but i didn't mention it because i wanted a possible solution without me steering everybody toward it. We actually renovated this water feature due to low flow, leaks in the liner and the pond was only about 1 1/2ft deep but I see now there might have been a reason for that. I first thought water could be entering on the back side where there is an incline on either side of the waterfall but I remedied that and it is still happening. In my opinion it is acting like a well, but isn't creating drainage for this going to pretty aggravating. I feel a loss coming on. I also attached a pic of the waterfall so everyone might get a better understanding of the situation.

100_0541.jpg

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

do you have any river stone , chalet or similar material to hold the liner down at the bottom? river stone can add a nice touch to the bottom of the pond while making look more natural and helping to hold the liner in place.

6. roknh20

roknh20 LawnSite Member

I think there is a pressure relief valve. It's not the greatest solution. It is installed in the bottom of the pond with a bulkhead fitting so it shouldn't leak. When water builds up under the liner it has a valve that pops up and releases the water under the liner into the liner. It is usually used in a larger pond situation so I'm not sure how well it would work for you.

7. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

can you raise the edges of the pond 6-12"? this may give you some more water depth in the pond and also some more weight. does that little rock wall enclose the area the pond is in? any way to open that area and divert the water away..far far away from the pond.. now that you have dug the hole it is the lowest point in the area,. the water 10 feet away can travel down the soft earth, hit the clay, and fill up the hole. best thing is to get that water away before it has a chance to soak into the ground.

8. lankfordservices

from TN

As you can see by the pic we have acces to alot of stone. I thought of that but I didn't want to just try to hide the symptom without getting rid of the disease. I have to head out for the moment but I'll try to get back in the discussion this evening; and again I will really appreciate everyones help.

9. lankfordservices

from TN

The rock wall sits on a shelf. The rocks depth are about 10 inches below the water level. The previous reply was to the question of putting rock on the bottom of pond. Sorry ya'll I'm a little slow with the keyboard and by the time I reply there has been two or three responses already. Be back in a little while.

10. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

The green arrows show where thye water is going now, and water/rain the goes near the edge, is going under the liner and into the hole you dug.

Remove the rocks and build up the soil under the rocks, divert the water paths to go away from the edge of the pond.

Attached Files:

• ggg.bmp
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views: