Pond losing water

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by clt3jxm, Jul 19, 2006.

1. clt3jxm

clt3jxm LawnSite Member

:help:

I have a small 5' x 7' 18" deep pond that can't seem hold water. What is puzzling is that it will sometimes not drop a single inch for days while other times it will completely drain overnight and almost burn out the pump. It has been a hot summer so far. Any ideas whatsoever what may be the problem?

Thanks for your help!

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

perhaps your fish are very thirsty some days....

Sorry, I actually heard that line used once and the lady was like "really? how much should they drink a day?"

What sort of plumbing do you have on the pond, is it exposed where it could be bumped into and dislodged a little? Have you tried turning off the pump to see what level it drained to and stops at?

3. clt3jxm

clt3jxm LawnSite Member

[​IMG]
    This is the pump I have going to an upper pool that drains as a waterfall back down into the pond. The hose going into the pool is a little exposed and there is quite a bit of bird activity around it. I have it shut off right now testing it that way.

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

8 glasses a day.

The first thought I had was evaporation. I would check the lines and stream for any leaks.

5. clt3jxm

clt3jxm LawnSite Member

It has only been a few hours since I turned off the pump and the pond is near empty already. It reached 99 degrees here today. Does anyone else experience an evaporation problem such as this? If so, what is a remedy besides walking out to it every morning with a water hose?

6. BSDeality

you have a very large leak if its near empty already. way too much for evaporation. see where it finally stops going down and then scout around the water line.

7. clt3jxm

clt3jxm LawnSite Member

If and once I get the setup stabilized, how long should a small pond keep its water level? How often would I need to top it off, best case scenario? Thanks for all the help you've given.

8. BSDeality

you will loose some water to evaporation, perhaps an inch or so a week. It depends on the weather and how much it comes into contact with the air. splashes = more loss to evaporation.

9. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

yeah, you definately have a leak. BSDeality was correct when he said to let it go all the way down and look for the break.

Are you using a plastic liner, or do you have a pre-formed pond?

got any pics?
    also, if you have any type of rock structure (like a small waterfall) or anything with real weight around there be careful, first pond with a waterfall I ever built at my house collapsed when we got about 4" of rain in one day sinking into the mud.....

10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what I was thinking. There has to be a leak some place in the lines.:confused: