Pond on hill

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Henry, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer whose backyard drops off towards the back and they want to put a pond near the top of the hill. The slope is gradual but the falls need to face the house. I would need to build a wall first and then fill in to create the pond. Has anyone done this?

2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Try talking them out of it.
    I'll be finishing up a pond tomarrow that was in the same situation. They wanted the fall facing the house and the pond in the hill.
    Just explain to them that it will look like an out of place mountain or volcaino. Ponds and water gardend blend in much better if they look natural. Show them what it would look like with the pond at the bottom of the hill with the waterfall and stream diagnally placed to the right or left so it is visible from indoors and out. Then explain the labor saved by doing it this way. It's a win win situation for them this way. If they still would like to go with the original plans, don't forget to add a few extra hours for profit.;)

3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's the one we started. The falls, stream and pond are all visable from the house. Should have it complete tomarrow.

im000273.jpg

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yes I do agree. That would look kind of odd. Water features are meant to look natural, and always look better when they are natural. :cool:

5. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, but the "usable" yard is small and they want to keep some lawn area. I guess I'll just have to work harder at convincing them.

6. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

I agree that it is easier and much better to go with the natural slope, however some customers "want what they want." And if your make your area large enough with a retaining wall then you can almost change the whole grade of the yard. If you make the wall large enough that it seperates the yard and make it it's own level it can still look natural. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.